1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bumper

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jay woods, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jay woods

jay woods Member

If anyone is looking for a bumper for a hijet I spent most of the day yesterday making one. I hope to finish it today. It has a receiver hitch in it as well as the lights. the jury is still out on how it will turn out. If it works, I will post pictures. If nothing else it has been cheap entertainment. I think my wife thinks I have lost my mind. I have played with hotrods, Corvettes, etc but for some odd reason this has been the most fun.

greg0187 likes this.
  2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to the pictures.

3. ky hillbilly

ky hillbilly Member

i am waiting on pictures to. thanks again.

4. cajun666

cajun666 New Member

can't wait t osee how he mounts it

5. jay woods

jay woods Member

Sorry I have not gotten back. I finished the bumper, it might just be me but I think it came out pretty good. I need to do taxes today then might get around to mounting it. I will have to figure out how to post pictures on here when I get done. Basically what I did is build a rear bumper just like the back valence(sp) just like the one where the lights are presently mounted. Built it out of thick walled 1 1/14 square tubing. Then wrapped the whole outside edges with 1/8 inch thick X 2 inch wide flat metal plate. Then filled in the middle with metal plate, cut out the light holes and mounted the lights. This left the lenses for the tail lights recessed 3/4 inch so they will not break if I was to back into something. It will also protect the back of my truck. What I am basically doing is going to carefully cut off the back valence. If you look under your truck, you will see that I can run supports off the frame on the outside of each frame member. Then two supports from the bottom of the bumper in the middle about a foot or so from the middle up to the rear tube that holds the frame apart and also supports the back of the gas tank. This is so the receiver hitch i put in the middle will not twist the bumper. It all sounds pretty involved but it really isn't. In short I am replacing what is already there with a bumper.

6. cajun666

cajun666 New Member

i am aitng on the pic to see how you did this

i have to make one for may
    Daihatsu Hi jet

7. greg0187

Very clever. When you said you were putting lights in it I knew what your plan was, and headed out to look at mine. I bet its going to look alot better and be more fuctional as the receiver will be mounted higher. This will probably be the route I will take. I have been planing on doing something similar with a front bumper as well.

8. jay woods

jay woods Member

I am sorry I took pictures and I can not get them on here. Anyone know how to do it. I still have not mounted it but I think you get the idea. Greg you are right, all I did was build a bumper instead of that back valence. If I say so myself it looks like it is supposed to be there. Where the round tube comes through the frame I am going to grind off that little 1/4 inch lip to give me a good mounting surface and bolt it on. Looks much better than putting it down low. I hope this helps, I am very happy with it.

9. greg0187

When you are posting there is a tool bar at the top w/ fonts, sizes, etc... Just to the right of the big A there is a button that looks like a paper clip. Use that to attach photos.

-Greg

10. greg0187

I know exactly what you are talking about where the tube comes through the frame. My thought about that was cutting a piece of 1/2" tubing (Assuming you will be using 1/2" bolts) the width of the frame, drill holes so they pass through the frame and weld them in place like the existing tube. That way you can tighten the bolts without crushing the frame.

-Greg

11. jay woods

jay woods Member

Excellent! Mind if I use your idea? I really enjoy this type of thing. I would rather play with this thing than work at my real job.

12. greg0187

Go for it, thats why I offered it. Another thought I had if you are interested. After you cut the valance off you could take a long piece of brake line, use a dremel to cut a slit the entire length of the line, fill it with seam sealer and put it over the edge where you cut the valance off. I've used this technique before and the finished product looks great. As you can tell I have been doing alot of thinking.

-Greg

13. greg0187

Hey Jay! Got those taxes done yet. Here is a pic of the front frame mounts I made last night. I plan to do the same for the rear.

-Greg

Attached Files:

14. jay woods

jay woods Member

Hey greg, yep got them done. Kinda been under weather lately. It's been passed through the whole family. Got the bumper all ready to go on but just haven't gone out and done it. I did get the valence cut off though. I cut it off right where it joins together with the bottom lip of the bed. It actually looks pretty clean. I tried several times to get a picture on here, it says uploading and just hangs there. I looked at the pictures of your mount...very nicely done. Also saw your pitman arm. You do very nice work, I am impressed. I am leaving for work tomorrow for 4 days, hopefully I will get it put on maybe saturday night when I get home. I work for the airlines, I don't think they would think to kindly about me staying home to play with my truck!

15. greg0187

Sorry to hear that. I got my steel today. I ordered some 6" X 2" X 1/4" structural C-channel for my rear bumber. I'm thinkin about not using the factory tail lights though. I figured I'd use some 4" round tractor trailer tail lights that mount with rubber grommets instead. How much do you think your bumper weighs? So far the 6' piece I have weighs 49lbs. Anyway, hows it going on the west side?

16. deerjw

deerjw New Member

I would like to see some pictures of both bumpers. I'm looking for one with a trailer hitch, but I'm not sure that I could duplicate what you guys are making. Where's a good source for a ready to mount bumper with a hitch?

17. greg0187

Theres no good supplier that I know of. I plan to start fabrcation this week on my front and rear bumber. Both will have two inch recievers. I will post pics asap.

-Greg

18. jay woods

jay woods Member

hi greg, I am out of town right now. I have still not mounted my bumper, but I will be home tuesday afternoon, I will weight it and let you know. I choose to use the stock lights that way I could recess them alittle. I use mine for hunting and did not want them broken if I backed into something.

19. jay woods

jay woods Member

Hey greg, finished product, not put on yet, 42lbs. Thats with a 2 inch receiver also. That weight is minus the ball and the male part of the hitch.

20. greg0187

Sweet. Cant wait to see the pics. PM Sent.

-Greg

21. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

Can't wait either!

Post the pictures. I am interested in front and back for a 1997 Suzuki Carry!
    Mike

22. greg0187

OK. I snuck out into the garage today and worked on my rear bumper. ;)
    Its made from 6" X 2" X 1/4" C-Channel. I used 4" Piranha LED tractor trailer tail lights as they are readily available if I break one. It really wasn't that hard to make.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. greg0187

More pics with the rear valance or OE bumper removed/cut off (If you want to call it a bumper, I call it worthless) and a mock up of the new bumper.

-Greg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. jay woods

jay woods Member

Very Nice Greg! That is exactly what I did. I cut my "bumper" off at exactly the same place. I had reservations about the trailers light but I like them. I was thinking you where going to use the surface mount light, not the recessed ones. are you going to cut a hole and put the reverse light in? I need to get out there and install mine. So much family stuff going on and work, I just have not had time. I literally need to just drill 4 holes in the bumper and bolt it up. I am mostly conceerned about the front. All I want to add up there is a place to mount the winch. I want to keep the front as light as possible to keep the front from bottoming out over big bumps. I put Mitsubishi struts on the front of mine to fix the bottoming out problem, but don't want to add to much weight and get the problem back.

25. jay woods

jay woods Member

same tires as I have also, these **** things will go anywhere. You should see where I have had mine this last hunting season.

26. greg0187

Thanks! yours looks great too! I havn't decided what I want to do for the reverse light yet, but I'm thinkin about adding a relay to the reverse circuit to turn on a recessed halogen, I just haven't found one that I want to use yet though. I have reservations about the weight on the front of mine as well, especially after recieving my 70lb structural c-channel (12"X1.5"X1/4"). I plan on shaving alot of the weight by cutting areas out and put diamond grating in place. Its also another reason I'm making the winch removable via the 2" reciever and store it in a tool box in the back. The winch itself weighs 30lbs the plan is to use Anderson connectors (Like you find on electric fork lifts) for the electric disconnect. You should be able to make a bracket to hold a 2" reciever quite easily and keep it light. I like my tires too.:D

-Greg

27. ky hillbilly

ky hillbilly Member

hey jay where did you find the mits. struts i am having the same problem. but my spare key still works great......... ky hillbilly

28. ATVtruck.com

ATVtruck.com New Member

Awesome Bumper

Greg, that bumper looks great. We have been designing and redesigning bumpers. I have crawled the www and your bumper has real potential. You should trademark that thing some kind of way. Post some all around pics when you get a chance. See Ya, Chris

29. Colin

Colin Member

Awesome bumper, Greg.

I've been wanting to make an LED taillight setup (and add a high-mount stoplight) for safety. This is getting the wheels in my head turning.

You could recess a single halogen lamp on one side of the receiver hitch. Cut out a small square hole and weld a piece of steel mesh/grating in place to protect it. Either that or mount a couple of them up on your headache rack.

Colin

30. greg0187

I actually did that yesterday. Except I Frenched it in and didn't use the mesh. I bought some mesh to use but after cutting the piece out and placing it over the light it didn't look as nice. I'll post some more pics soon. I haven't gotten the truck out of the garage in a while to take pictures (Lack of fuel tank, brakes and other projects). I like the LED's but they are pricey, I also have some for the front bumper that I am makiing. The only problem I have now is finding a variable load flasher so the blinkers don't flash so quickly.

-Greg