1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Built in generator ??

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by zeroduty, Jan 5, 2010.

1. zeroduty

zeroduty New Member

I just purchased a 92 Daihatsu jumbo. There is a large alternator just in front of the rear diff with a drive shaft parallel to the rear drive shaft. Was wondering if anyone has seen this before and how you operate it. There is a plug on the dash that is labeled 100V AC 15 A

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ya its a pto powered generator/alternator. but japan is 110v but different hertz, so plug a regular light into it and you will notice a flicker!

very neat to get one of these!! please post some pictures of the setup. i have only ever seen one other truck with it.

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

4. project_x

project_x Member

Can you post some pictures and details on how it operates when you get it all figured out?

Thanks,
    Rob

5. zeroduty

zeroduty New Member

I finally figured out how to get the generator powered up. The PTO control was covered up by the floor matt. You just engage the PTO, put the transfer case in neutral and put the transmission in 4th gear, and set up the idle speed. I tried it out with a side grinder and a drill. both worked fine. I to try a skil saw on it, it needs about 15 amps. Should be very handy around the farm.

6. Stuff99

pictures man! pictures! lol

7. Canadian_Jumbo

Canadian_Jumbo New Member

On the drivers side of my 93 Hijet Jumbo, near the door, and close to the bottom of the dash pannel is an outlet that says 100v 15A. Next to it is some lights and a meter for your Hz (cycles). I basically do what zeroduty mentioned, and I take my windowscraper and keep the pedal at the right RPM, and Hz rading. Sometimes I put it in 5th gear however. In N. America we use 60 Hz, 110-120v. I plug my japanese to N american adapter in along with my step up transformer that is good for a draw of 1500 watts. Roughfly the max load of the Generator. I can then have the proper power to use for my more sensitive devices like my fridge in a power outage and to keep my tools from being damaged. Good to use on my worksights with no power. Most of My tools want 110-120, and the Japanese 100v would basically be like "brown power". I never knew my truck was capable of this when I purchased it. More and more it is like a swiss army knife.

8. Stuff99

lucky!

and hey, your an hour away from me :D

9. Canadian_Jumbo

Canadian_Jumbo New Member

Yeah well more like 1/2 hr. Mabe 1 hr. if I drove my minitruck. I would probably have to slip stream a semi to reach highway speeds of 100-105 kph with all the bad headwinds we get. I have to get a u joint for the generator it is worn pretty bad when I bought the truck and do some painting and bodywork. She was a bit abused by the last owner I can tell. After I get the work finished then I might take a few pictures. Mabe even a before and after.

10. Stuff99

lol i know what you mean bout headwinds! i was out there in my mini truck last summer and on the way back we hit a plow wind dead on!! pushed my "passenger" mirror all the way around and against the side window! also dropped me from 120 to 70!