1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bugs in 4WD vacuum lines

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bobjonah, Jan 25, 2021.

1. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I just spent about two days of quality time replacing all of my vacuum tubing, and chasing circuits in an attempt to get my S83P 4WD system to shift properly. I finally found it!!! Mud dauber wasps had filled one of the VSV vent filters with mud and eggs, plugging it solid. Once cleared, everything now works as it should. Easy enough to check as they just pull off. Just another thing to be aware of.

Cheers

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

bob,
    That's good info, and a great heads up! Curious to know how you chose to clean them?
    Limestone

3. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I could see that the front diff locker was struggling ( and failing ) to pull into lock, so I pulled the hose off the other side and blocked it keep the vacuum, allowing the servo to vent to atmosphere, and it worked great. This indicated that the VSV was not venting properly. I pulled the filter and could easily see the wasps handiwork. I pulled all four and one other was partially blocked as well. Cleaned them out with a wooden toothpick and a bit of compressed air

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

Little buggers I have had them fill the fuel tank vent line on one of my motorcycles. Causing vacuum in the tank and loss of fuel

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Yeah their a nuisance. That makes sense how you cleaned them out. I didn't know if you had another method! I'm always willing to learn new tricks! Thanks!
    Limestone