1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broke Tranny Case, Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by WakeWorld, Jan 30, 2017.

1. WakeWorld

WakeWorld New Member

Plug.jpg We were finishing up a throwout bearing replacement when my son must have torqued the transmission oil fill plug too tight and it broke the hole in which the plug threads. A small piece of the transmission body (about half the threads broke off. Obviously, we're pretty bummed, but I'm looking for ideas to fix it. My first thought is to fill it with oil, thread the plug in the best we can and then cover it all with JB Weld. Not sure what we'd do if the oil ever needs to be changed again, but at least we'd be back on the road.

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

I would fill it with oil and do the jb weld. Personally I would clean it all with brake parts cleaner. Put the plug back in with the broken part with jb weld between transmission and broken part. Using a clamp of some sort to hold the broken section back on as the jb weld sets up. After it has wire wheel the whole area clean with brake clean and put a layer of jb weld around all of the area the plug threads into and out onto the housing.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  3. ttc

ttc Active Member

I have patched a puncture in a motorcycle oil pan with scotch weld inside and out. It has held for 8 years and counting

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Spray a bit of Pam cooking oil on the threads of the plug to prevent it sticking and do the JB thing. Make sure you clean the mating surfaces of the broken parts very well with Carb Cleaner or Brake Parts Cleaner and make sure it is totally dry before using the JB. Do not overtighten the plug while repairing it, only snug enough so the flat surface will match.

Fred

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017