1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broke my timing belt

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by b_eastep, Aug 6, 2009.

1. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

well i broke my timing belt a couple of mnths ago while going down the highway at around 5000rpm. its a 98 with the 4 valve motor. any of you guys with the same motor broke a belt before? was wondering what the odds were that a piston hit a valve. and if so any of you guys knew a good place to get replacement valves, head gasket, and so forth.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. starpuss

starpuss Member

i think your best bet would be to find a used motor, what where the km's on the truck?

3. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

well if i have to get a new motor for some reason such as bad pistons and so forth, i believe i may have to do something interesting such as rig up a cbr 1000 motor.

4. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

60000 kilo

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

timing belts are "usually" good for about 100k if i'm not mistaken?

the easiest thing to do would be to pull the head and take a look at the valves. i think those are "interference" motors - that means if you lose the belt, you are going to lose a couple valves with it. normally in this that situation you just need to replace the valves and clean up the seats.

i'm sure any machine shop near you can do the work but the big question is the availablility of the valves. if the machine shop doesn't have them you can probably get a set from one of the site sponsors that sells parts.

but, depending on the cost of the valves and machine work, maybe one of the vendors has a good used head they can sell you?

6. starpuss

starpuss Member

i say go to the junk yard and find a 2.5l boxer motor lol, should be room on a mini to make it fit. this is what i am going to do if i blow up my motor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

may as well find the one with the turbo ;)

starpuss likes this.
  8. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Damn b that sucks. Tear into it and see what the damage is. I'd think you should be able to find what you need from a few of the sponsors.

9. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

thanks guys. a boxer would be great but id have to travel out of state to find one of those. plus i really dont have the money for a technical engine swap such as that. iv only got a couple hundred bucks to repair whatever is damaged. think ill roll the cams over to closed and blow compressed air through the plug hole and see what iv got. maby i got luckey but im not luckey. any of you guys got a set of valves or a head for cheap let me know. iv got to get this thing runnen before motorcycle season ends because my other truck only gets 11mpg and since the old lady got laid off every penny counts.

10. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

no bent valves. waiting on a new belt now.

11. greg0187

Congrats. You must of got lucky or someone was looking out for you. ;)

12. greg0187

Hey b, you got it going yet. Bump for update.

-Greg

13. Sheperdale

Sheperdale Member

Lost mine last winter

I lost my belt that slipped a couple of teeth last winter and came out lucky by getting out with just a belt replacement. Congrats but do a compression test to make sure. Also replace that water pump while your in there.

14. getinold

getinold New Member

could someone point to a link for instructions or pdf for f5a timing belt replacement? i cant seem to find one with the search. thanks for any help you can give.

15. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

16. starpuss

starpuss Member

his
    Last Activity: 11-24-2009 12:06 PM

i think someone needs to send him a email to wake him up.

17. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

im awake. computer got struck by lightening. back now. runs like a champ.