1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broke another timing belt

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by SaskCarry, Aug 8, 2011.

1. SaskCarry

SaskCarry Member

My 660 cc F6A has been running smoother than ever, coming off a fresh rebuild, new crankshaft. I was slowing down from 80 km/h for a stop sign, when the timing belt (which was almost new and showed no signs of wear or jumping when I removed it) suddenly broke. This is the second belt that has snapped on this engine. Any ideas what could be causing this? Has anyone had experience with faulty belts? It was a Gates belt.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I would check all the pulleys and tensioner for burrs or nicks....

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

cam bearings bad?

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Thats odd breaking a new belt. For grins I got my S81P Daihatsu service book out and it says
    "when the mid point of belt at tension side is pushed 5mm , ensure that the pushing force is 2.7 - 4.0kg. 2.7 - 4.0g = 5.95 - 88.2lbs (when belt is deflected 5mm).
    When ever I change a timing belt I just do it by feel really. Never had a problem. Bout the same as if you change the alt. belt on your car.
    So maybe it was to tight or to lose??

5. SaskCarry

SaskCarry Member

The oddest thing is the fact that the belt broke without showing any signs of wear from nicks or burrs and no signs of ever having jumped. Timing seemed perfect too. Hopefully it was just a defective belt but the fact that this isn't the first fairly new belt that this engine has snapped has me worried a bit. Idling was great and it never backfired since I got it back from the shop.