1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Lights won't turn on

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by owenspike, Nov 24, 2022.

1. owenspike

owenspike New Member

I have a jdm 95 Every, chassis code DF51V. My friend installed a stereo and speakers for me recently. Afterwards I have no brake lights (when I hit the brakes, the light for my high beams turns on). I have no illumination on my gauge cluster, and have no interior lights.

There were 2 wires running from the wiring harness originally, one of which I have confirmed is attached to the brake light wiring (it reads constant 12v until I press on the brake.) I have no clue what the other wire is. He military spliced into what I am assuming is my dash light wire for constant power to the stereo. The ignition power for it is wired into the fuse box via a fuse tap. There is a burnt fuse in my fuse box but I'm not sure what it is to as I cannot find a diagram.

I am very confused as to what the issue would be. And was wondering if anyone had any idea at all on this.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

I have the same van. Take a moment to add you minitruck details in your signature so we know easily what you have.

The issue is that the radio was wired to what your friend thought was ground but the ground wire hot switches to be +12 volts when the lights are turned on. You need to rewire the radio to ground on the chassis of the radio or the surround that holds it. You may also need to use a direct wire to the fuse box for the +12 volts you need. The fuse is blown because of this.

owenspike likes this.
  3. owenspike

owenspike New Member

So what do I do with the 2 wires that originally were in the stereo. Do I wire them to what we assumed was the ground?