1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake drum and rotor specs

Discussion in 'References' started by rasmkd, Aug 29, 2008.

1. rasmkd

rasmkd New Member

I am in the process of getting a out of province inspection done on 4 suzuki carryès and my inspection location (Canadian Tire) will not pass it with out knowing what the specs are for maxémin tolerance.

Does anyone out there know ....I have the good Suzuki manual but it does not have that information. Any help is appreciated.

With out it they wont pass them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  2. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

All the rotors/drums I have seen have the Min. thickness stamped on the inside. The rotors for my Sambar are stamped Min 16mm. They are usually pretty rusted on the inside so you may have to get in there with a wire brush.

3. Subaru

Subaru Member

That is your first mistake-getting Ukranian Tire to inspect.:frustration:
    Like the FUZZ says,it is stamped on drums and rotors,and if the guy/girl doing the inspection was qualified they should know this.
    My Subarus got inspected without any problems-:D

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

When I imported my Sambar I was going to go to Crappy Tire but after my first visit to them
    I found out that even though they were approved by the Gov of Can to do the out of country
    inspection they had no clue how to do it. They told me they would have to phone some where
    to find out how to do it!!
    I thought that I should let someone else be their "test" truck and found someone who actually knew what
    they were doing.

5. rasmkd

rasmkd New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Is the min stamped on the rear drum as well ....

Were I live Canadian Tire is the only place to get the inspections done. If there was a place in Calgary that someone knew about Suzuki- Subaru mini trucks - I would be glad to hear who they were and give them a try.

Calgary is only a two hour drive.

Thanks again

6. Subaru

Subaru Member

Your just getting the OOP done,not the out of country ---right?

7. rasmkd

rasmkd New Member

So far yes just the oop.

8. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

9. Subaru

Subaru Member

10. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Hey I live on the coast - on a Island no less, didn't know that it was that far away :p
    Plus I saw him post on another forum that he was looking for a place for OOP in Calgary and I thought that GP might work for him

If he says exactly what city he wants the OOP in I'll see what I can find :)

11. drickey

drickey New Member

Manitoba Inspection & brake specifications

I have a 1990 Suzuki Carry (DB-51T) that I am trying to get through a Manitoba safety inspection. The one sticking point are the brakes. I understand that there are no specifications for the amount of brake wear on a Suzuki Carry. However, a work-around given in the Manitoba Safety Inspection Handbook is to use the sizes of brand new drums and rotors, and
    then subtract or add a wear value they give.

For reference I've attached photos of the Carry's drum brakes. I can't find numbers anywhere on it. The Suzuki manual doesn't give any numbers either. Given the number of these trucks running around, you'd think that someone would have solved this problem. I'm told that one person in BC had to put all new drums and rotors on their Carry simply to get it through their safety.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

12. Ravk

Ravk Member

My inspection was done at Kal Tire here in Edmonton. I just called them and they said most of their stores do Out Of Prov Insp. Check out Kal Tire down there in Cowtown.

Robert

13. confuzed

confuzed Member

2 hours in what direction? close to three hills? the place i bought mine has them done locally and the people selling out of linden use the same place. he has inspected vans and trucks i believe all makes try him...... Richards automotive three hills ......your dealer (seller) did not do the inspection for you?....... mine had it all done before the sale was done

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  14. drickey

drickey New Member

Suzuki Carry Brake Specifications

I found out the answer. I turns out that the minimum rotor thickness are given on the back of the discs. In this case the discs are 10 mm thick when new with a minimum thickness of 8 mm.

I also found out (from Japan) that the Suzuki Carry trucks can come with various thicknesses of discs. For example, dump trucks can have either 15 or 18 mm thick discs with a 2 mm wear limit.

Note that I found one Suzuki vehicle with 11 mm thick discs and a minimum thickness of 9.5 mm, so don't assume your brakes are a particular thickness.

Drums seem to be standardized and are 180 mm new with a maximum size of 182 mm.

Attached Files:

15. rheardus

rheardus New Member

Where can i find rear brake drums for a 1998 Suzuki carry dd51tt