1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blowing headlight fuses 1993 S83 Hi Jet

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by ErniesImports, Aug 2, 2019.

1. ErniesImports

ErniesImports New Member

I have replaced the headlights, the turn signal & headlight switches at the column, and traced wires until im ready to give up.
    Every time I put a 20 amp fuse in it blows on contact.
    Also the dome light went at the same time.

Any suggestions?
    Its not my first truck.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

You have a direct short if it is blowing the fuse on contact. Rig a small light bulb so you can plug it in place of the fuse. As long as there is a short the bulb will light but will not draw enough current to burn the wiring. Then you can do some troubleshooting and when you eliminate the short, the light will go out. Check all items that the fuse delivers current to. Move wiring around a bit as the insulation may be worn thru someplace. Has anything been recently installed? A mounting screw for some recently installed accessory might be puncturing the insulation someplace. A wire may be pinched someplace. The filaments in bulbs do occasionally break loose and cause an unintentional ground.

Fred

3. ErniesImports

ErniesImports New Member

Fred,
    I found it ! It was the dome light. the wiring was shorting out where it was frayed behind the visors. I used a 12v light to check it.
    I have lights again, and life is wonderful. I can drive it on the road here and the police dont even care, they call it a farm truck.
    I will post pictures of the truck soon
    Thanks again

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Ernies: Since the OP has replaced just about everything, and the problem is a dead short which blows the fuse. How is our posting a direct replacement bulb even remotely relevant?

5. ErniesImports

ErniesImports New Member

My test light was a 12v bulb.
    Its fixed now.

6. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Glad to be of some help. Enjoy.

Fred