1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block heater

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Cliff67, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

I was wondering if anyone has or tried to find a block heater for a 92 Mitsubishi u42t with 3g83 12V engine. Any help would be great.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I used the Kats brand glue on silicone pads on my Hijet. A 2X5-inch on the side of the oil pan, and a pair of 1X5-inch on the transmission, and transfer case.

I have it set up to plow with, and the heating pads gave easy starts, with good shifting down to -22F. The extension cord to the truck has a ThermoCube 25-35F unit, and a digital timer. So at 0430, if it is below 35F, the heaters kick in. By the time I go out to start it up at 0700, it cranks right over, and the water heats up enough to start warming the truck after about five minutes.

Kats also sells a 1-inch lower radiator hose heater, and a pretty extensive line of freeze plug block heaters, and various screw in and Dipstick heaters. The complete line is available on Amazon.

3. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Thanks for sending your set up I will have to check that out. Thinking the oil pan would be enough for me as the truck is parked in the garage during the winter.

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I also use one of those Kats stick-on oil pan heaters. Simple and works well. Probably not as good as an actual block heater but this isn't a diesel where getting the cylinder warm is key. (My "other" snow plowing vehicle is a John Deere tractor...good luck starting that one in the cold without a block heater!)

I've heard some stories from the far north of people "cooking" their oil from leaving the oil pan heaters on too much but that's why using a timer and/or a thermocube is great. I've found even just 30 minutes will help things start happier.