1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bleeding rear brakes, where's the bleeder?

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by kitimat, Oct 29, 2018.

1. kitimat

kitimat New Member

So, after rebuilding my front left (passenger) caliper, I of course let some air into the line; as evidenced by a spongy pedal. So I went to start the lovely process of bleeding my brakes. No such luck with just bleeding the front brakes, so I prepared to start from the rear, as your supposed to when I realized, where in the heck are the rear bleed screws? Can someone point out the obvious please. It is on a 91 mitsubishi minicab u42. And as a dreadfull thought, I noticed brake fluid got quite low in the reservoir, any thoughts on how low it would have to get to warrant a bench bleed of the master cylinder? So not wanting to go to the trouble of removing the dashboard... This poor little truck sat for 2 years, yet with a little love started up nicely. Reason being the seized caliper and a lack of time.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Not familiar with your vehicle, so this is general info from years of mechanicing with all different types of vehicles & equipment. Most times if not too much air in the MC, if you very gently feel for the point at the end of the freeplay at the top of the brake pedal stroke, and just jiggle the pedal across this point, it will gradually expell the air to the reservoir and it will bubble out and you wont have to bench bleed. As to the bleed screws, some vehicles had the rear brakes in series so the fluid was plumbed into the lower connection at one side and then out of the upper connection to the other side lower connection and finally being bled out at the upper connection at the last cylinder in line. Also keep in mind that you may have to be concerned with centering the combination valve, if the shuttle gets far enough off center to turn on the dash brake warning light, it may also shut off either front or rear portion of the brake system and you may need to bleed either end in order to re-center the shuttle in the combination valve.

Fred