1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigger wheel/tire size - Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Schick, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Schick

Schick Member

Just what are the negatives or positives to increasing wheel/tire size?

I am toying with the idea of changing the rear duallies on the titan from 13 inch to 14 inches. I wonder if I should. Some people are telling me that I can get higher speeds on the highway and a larger tire footprint for traction. I don't know much about it, and wonder if the following are accurate:

Pros:
    -faster
    -a little more height
    -more tire availability
    -larger tire foot print

Cons:
    -Clearance issues
    -larger tires on the rear will cause incorrect wheel castor angle on the front
    -more work for the engine

What do you folks think?

2. brumas

brumas Member

Did you find the pros and cons?
    I'm interested in knowing about that too.

3. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

More footprint actually means the same or LESS traction... a narrow tire with good tread is your best bet for good traction with the exceptions to this rule being deep snow or sand.

A taller tire will reduce your torque upon takeoff and therefore make traction on ice seem a little better and yes you will get more top end speed if your truck has the power to push those bigger tires.

The switch between 12" and 13" will hardly be noticeable from your truck's point of view, but very noticeable from yours. I think they should have come from the factory with those tires.

4. rpm

rpm Member

I went from the stock 12" to 13" Honda Accord tires and wheels on my '99 Carry with hardly any problems. I did lose some top end horsepower, but it increased my top speed. I haven't had any problems with low end power, there is more than enough gears in low range to handle that.