1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Tire Option for new Carry owner??

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by 1sogdusm, Nov 11, 2017.

1. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

I am new to the forum and the mini truck world. I purchased a 1991 Suzuki Carry this week and drove it home over a 100 miles. The truck has stock 12” rims and the old Bridgestone mud/snow tires are in need of replacement. I plan to use the truck around the property where I live, mud, trail to barn hauling tools, and runs to the hardware store, etc.
    I am not sure if I need more ground clearance or not. I have looked at the 145r12 Super Digger Yokohama and tried to sort through all the wheel/tire info on the net. I want to stay with a tire that will carry a load and handle some road driving. Is there a taller 12” tire that would give a little addition in clearance or is the Super Digger the way to go?? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Welcome!
    Go to the junk yard and find a Geo metro with 13" rims and tires!
    Im running 195 70 13 on mine and it rides WAY better!

3. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

KCCats, are there any good AT type tires that are narrow enough to work with the 13” rims? If so I will start the hunt.
    Thanks

4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Most of the ATVs use 12" rim.
    If you look at my avatar pic I have 26x12-12 on back and 26x1012 up front!

5. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

KCCats, I located 5 metro rims today, are you aware of any AT or Mud type tires that will work on those or do you just use the 13s for the street? Most of my road driving will be limited to short 5 or 10 mile trips around the mountain. Most often my truck will be on dirt between my house and the barn. I tried to locate a good mud tire online and have not been able to find anything in a 13 yet. Any ideas?

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Nope.12 off road and so far 13 on road.
    But once I do my lift I hope to get a set of 30 x 8 - 14 old military jeep tires!

7. matt167

matt167 Active Member

snow tires make great off road tires. 155/70/13 available thru simple tire for about $50 each. That size is within 1/2" of the factory 145R12 size

509er likes this.
  8. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

Thanks guys, I think I will try the Hankook I-Pike winter tire. Looks like the most aggressive looking tire in the 13 “. They are cheap and one review said they are using them on a rally car. I have a 2” lift so the small size difference shouldn’t matter at all. I will let you all know how they workout.
    Thanks again

9. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

What size are they?
    Got a link?

10. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

165/70R13
    Hankook Winter I Pike
    Simpletire.com

11. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Cant seem to get there?
    And that seems a bit small?

12. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

PM sent

13. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

14. matt167

matt167 Active Member

for reference 165/65/13 would be approx the OEM diamater. 165/70/13 is 5% taller than stock give or take. You'll still be able to fit that no problem though.

The Cooper Weathermaster ST/2 is about as close as the Cooper Discover M/S as you can get in a car tire, they are non directional . Only seems to be available in the 155/70/13 though. The Discover M/S is a very, very good mud tire and the Weathermaster ST/2 is basically the same.

https://simpletire.com/cooper-p155-70r13-02625-tires

15. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

Thanks for the info Matt, I will take a look.

16. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I just got my Snow tire today.
    Through Simpletire.com.
    They are Nokian Nordman 5
    There part # TH29045
    In 165 70R-14 and they are 23" tall!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  17. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

I ended up with the Hankook 13 inch tires, waiting for some winter weather to try them out. Had a little problem getting insurance company to cover the little truck, vin shows up as a commercial vehicle and they had 50 questions??? Not sure what difference that would make but squared away now after the did a week of research.

18. DUNCAN IMPORTS

DUNCAN IMPORTS New Member

1sogdusm - Where did you buy your truck?

19. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I bought mine through a guy from here in SC!

I love the traction of my tires!

20. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

I purchased mine from a private party in Tennessee outside of Knoxville.

21. DUNCAN IMPORTS

DUNCAN IMPORTS New Member

Ok, I was wondering because you made a comment about the insurance issue. All of our truck we sell come with a VA title. I thought maybe you purchased it from us and had an issue. If you need any parts, We sell everything for your truck. you can look at our website and get further info. Thanks.

22. 1sogdusm

1sogdusm New Member

Great, thanks for the heads up. I did get insurance , the truck had a Tennessee title but for some reason the underwriters said the VIN# indicated a “commercial vehicle”. I still don’t understand that but we worked around it.

Thanks again