1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to get a dist cap and rotor

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Ran440, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Looking to get a new cap and rotor in an attempt to solve a miss/ intermittent power loss situation.
    Spark plugs look almost new with normal color, wires look good too.
    Cap had a lot of white stuff on the electrodes and it looks kind of like spiderweb cracks in the plastic. Cleaned the electrodes but still have the intermittent miss.
    So I'm thinking a least a new cap and rotor.
    Would like to stay with NGK. Just looking for the best price with fair shipping costs.
    Anyone purchase these lately?
    Thanks
    Randy

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

The spiders are the problem.

A "cracked" cap is garbage; toss it.

Note: For anyone crossing water,
    Never shut off the engine after crossing deep water. The cap WILL "crack" (carbon-track from moisture).
    Run for at least 30min.

3. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

hey thats good info thee spaner ill have to check mine i shut it off after being in some water didnt even think about it but have had it started 15 times or so since and driving it 200 plus miles didnt notice anything so i might be ok this time

4. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Anybody use the tune up kit from FG Procurement. Don't think those are NGK wires, cap and rotor.
    Can't seem to find NGK. Mini Truck Supply still hasn't got back to me.
    Randy

5. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Ordered tune up kit #3 from FG Procurement today. I'll let you know how I make out.
    Randy

6. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Got the tune up kit from FG Procurement the other day. They weren't NGK parts but they were all correct for my truck. Got them changed out, plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
    Bad news is they did not resolve the engine performance problem.
    Engine runs fine, pulls well, but when I get up to speed and let off the gas pedal I feel a slight power loss then it comes right back. Seems to do it more when the engine has warmed up. Looks like it may be a fuel issue. I have been using seafoam every other fillup. I have never changed the fuel filter, but I don't think this is the problem as it does it when I let off the gas.
    Any ideas ????