1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bent #1 con rod

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by carry92, May 3, 2009.

1. carry92

carry92 Member

My Carry made a clacking noise when I went to start it. I shut it off immediately. It ran fine when parked.

With a socket wrench on the crank pulley nut the engine turned freely for most of a revolution. At one point it became very stiff like some internal part was up against something. We dumped the engine oil and it had a silvery glitter in it.

Yesterday we removed the engine/gearboxes. After a engine tear down we found the bent con rod.

The piston top and valves were not damaged.
    There is no sign of coolant getting into the cylinder.
    Any ideas on how or what bent the con rod?

Now the question is where to buy one con rod and one piston?

Attached Files:

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Just a guess but more than likely water or gasoline leaked and filled one of the cylinders.

-Greg

3. carry92

carry92 Member

Yes we think that it was fuel that got into the cylinder. The head gasket shows no sign of any leakage.
    I have not looked at the manifold and carb setup to see if there is any way coolant could have gotten into the cylinder from there.

4. rayallen

rayallen Member

carry....when you took the head off was there water or gas in that one cylinder. You can bend a rod with starting fluid also. I would be looking at gas leaking by after the engine was shut off the last time but you should have a electric fuel shut off so it doesnt diesel when you turn off the key. ray allen