1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bed rust question regarding snow

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Dmscar, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

Hopefully I’m not posting too much jsit have tons of questions. So what the kei trucks and how the sides fold down. I have seen multiple where they are rusting at the actual points where the hinge itself is at. However the only bed covers I have found don’t cover down to the hinges.

Do you think if I had the cover on and it snowed about 6-10 inches and it melted that it would slowly cause the bed hinges to start to rust. If it would what preventive steps besides garaging the truck could I take to prevent that kind of rust. I only ask because I get paranoid by rust and the site of it considering I’ve seen too many Trucks on the internet with horrific rust problems that I can’t afford to personally fix.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The rust occurs as the paint fails. The hinges move, nd wear the paint off.

the best rust preventive is to do the d\truck with rust binding paints, and then add color coats on top of that.

3. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

So basically just periodically repaint the areas that are prone to rust with rust preventative paints. That really shouldn’t be hard then and thank you for the feed back.

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

Steel I these trucks is not the best and I don't think there is any zinc coating before paint. Once rust starts it moves fast if you live in rust prone climate. I just got a hijet for parts that spent a couple years on a bridge over the harbirt then became the parts truck for the rest of the fleet. It's got some nasty rust starting.

5. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

I think I’ll probably just strip the paint if it’s looking rough at the hinges and maybe get an undercoat sprayed on the truck maybe. Or atleast get a few preventative washes underneath the truck.