1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bed rails on my Mini truck

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by tob, Apr 2, 2010.

1. tob

tob Member

I have decided to extend my mini truck's bed sides, by installing new bed rails. As most of you know the bed sides are only 12" in height. While that is usually high enough for most loads, it does not give me a good feeling when I take all of my wife's family's kids to the farm.( I would not want any of them to bounce out).
    What I did to alleviate this problem is to install two rails made of 1 and a half inch schedule 40 pipe with back to back 90s--34". The 90s are 6' in height. One for each side. You could use ready made 90s but a lot more welding.
    I took a piece of 3/16" by 4" flat bar, bent it to fit the bed side and welded the rail to it. I drilled a 5/16" hole in the center of the bent bar that wrapped the bed side and also two 3/16" holes on each side of the center hole. (all the way through the side of the bed) For the bolt that went through the bent metal and the bed side, I used a 5/16" x2" carriage bolt. I had to file out the hole to make it square so the bolt would fit.(I did not want a regular bolt head sticking out from the truck). The nuts I used are the ny-lock type that once are tighten on the bolt will not back off. The two other holes, I used 3/16" blind rivets (maybe over kill) but I feel OK about it. I used a total of (4) carriage bolts and (16) 3/16" blind rivets. I will post pics tomorrow, still raining out. :pop::pop:

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

pictures man!! pictures!

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Really! I want to see this!:pop: :)

4. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yeah, this sounds like a cool idea!

5. G1LB3RT

G1LB3RT New Member

Glad to know there's someone posting on the same country as me :)

6. tob

tob Member

Bed rail

Well Stuff99,
    It has finally quit raining cats and dogs and I have taken a few pics at different angles to give you a view of my work.
    Hope you like, I do.
    Thanks for the reply........... Tob.:eek:

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Very nicely done! Makes a lot of sense too if you're having a passenger or two back there; gives them something to grab on to.

Also, tell us more about those tires. Those would appear to be what we in North America have been searching for...a real mud & snow highway rated tire.

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

now that is beefy!! love the bumpers to!

9. tob

tob Member

:D:D:D thanks for the reply, glad you like..

10. tob

tob Member

Thanks for the compliment.
    I'll check tomorrow for the information on these tires. They do roar somewhat but what is a little sound on the road when you need them off the road :confused::confused:

11. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

very nice truck..love it all good work:)

12. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Damn... that's one GOOD looking truck. Nice work!