1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beach Driving?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Meansealvel, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Can anyone tell me about how plum/level the wheels/tires should sit stock? If i put a level up against a stock set up will it be pretty close to level?

2. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Sooooo have you ever done a Mitsubishi? And by adjusting the steering rods your only correcting toe in not camber right??

3. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Gotta remember bud, you didn't put a 3 inch lift on. Since you put the springs on at the same time........... I'm willing to bet that you have a 4 to 4.5 inch lift.
    If you drop the front diff, you only need to drop it half of the total amount of lift. No wear on the CV. But that's not the only issue........... I think if you put a 2 inch block in and drop the front, you won't have to cut your cross member but you will get the wheels to straiten out.

Drop the diff 2 inches........ Then the front 2 inches.......... You'll need to buy new bolts, but that's all. Just take one of the stock bolts out and go down and buy 4 of them 2 inches longer.
    Even after I did all that to my mini-mog........... I still had to do what spaner said............. But we all know he is the man hahaha

4. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Well it was actually a 2" lift.... and with the springs yeah maybe its closer to 3ish but i still think theres another reason i have so much camber. Maybe i was sold the wrong style, like for another model truck. Idk but it just seems like its way too much for such a small lift. But either way, ill look into dropping the diff. and front end.

5. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Just curious....... Are your lift blocks at an angle? Taller on one side then the other?
    If so......... Did ya put the blocks in with the flat end, the one that's square and true with the inner tube section, on bottom and the taller side to the outside if the rig?

I know......stupid question.......... But it is possible that if mounted upsidedown and back word that it would cause similar problems

6. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I'm just grasping at straws trying to find an easier fix for ya

7. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

If you have a dremmel you could do like spaner suggested and make the bolt holes longer and the center hole larger and push the strut in till you get the angle you need

8. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

I wouldnt say thats a stupid question at all! Ive honestly been wondering about that. Unfortunately the rig isnt home right now or i would go look but im 90% sure ive got the side thats flush with the inner tub on the inside of the wheel well and the higher of the two sides toward the outside of the wheel well. I was also half wondering if maybe the people i bought the lift kit from may have sent me the wrong kit, like for a different model. Is there an easy way to determine if its the right one? But yeah the blocks are different on both sides.

9. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Yeah been considering this idea. But i swear something is wrong, cuz im pretty sure the camber is well beyond what can be adjusted by any of the easy fixes. Like i said with the a level up to the tire the bottom of the wheel is at least 1" away. That seems like a lot to me! Either way thanks for the effort buddy! I like the idea of dropping the diff if i wouldn't need to cut cross member.

10. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

dropping the front of the diff will bring the CV closer to strait as well as lift the drive line a bit where it goes into the front diff.

not sure how else to help without being there or seeing a billion pics.......... If you did in fact get a 2 inch lift......... The camber shouldn't be that far off if their in the right direction and placed right side up........... Crazy..........

11. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Yeah i dont really get it.... Ill have to have a better look at it when i get it back! Hopefully running better! THanks again moose ill keep ya posted guys!

12. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Well my mechanic was able to do a rough measurement of the camber and says theres about 4 degrees positive. He also said he looked at how the lift was installed and thought it looked right to him. So im still at a loss, i have called the guy who sold me the kit and he said he would have to have the guy who built it get in touch. So until i get this figured im not even driving the thing.... So if anyone has any suggestions feel free.

13. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Would 23" tires on 14" wheels make the lift any higher than 23" tires on 12" wheels? Maybe this is the issue...

14. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Welp, turns out it was the springs that created the camber! Pulled them out today and im pretty much at 0 degrees, there may be a slight positive but not much. NOW!! Im back to almost rubbing!! Its why i put the springs on in the first place.... i have about a 1/4" clearance when the suspension is compressed, so i may cut the spring slightly?? Just to lift it a hair more. But for now at least its sitting flat