1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beach Driving?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Meansealvel, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Anyone anyone?? In case no one noticed the question in my last post im wondering how bad it is to bottom out in beach sand? Ive just tried my truck on the beach for the first time and it went really well aside from the bottoming out part and im still trying to decide if I need bigger tires/wheels?? Many Thanks

2. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

Hey mean I am on cape cod also. If you want contact me I have a suzuki carry you can reach me at 502-640-1225. I have some info for you

3. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I have 10.5 inch wide tires on all 4......front and rear.......5 inch offset on the rims. Our beach is super soft. Bottomless if you dig. We do fine. We drag bottom quite a bit. But I added skid plates. When we get home I get up underneath and wash all the sand and gravel out. A good winch and an anchor are worth their weight in gold!! When we get stuck I drag the anchor out to the end of the winch cable and stomp her in. Gets us out every time.........getting the anchor back can be interesting though hahaha

4. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Whoa your the one who builds lift kits and such right? That's so cool your so close I would love to chat, ill give you a call sometime soon, thanks!

5. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

5 inch offset! Dizamn! Plus that crazy lift and big tires.... And you still bottom out I guess I shouldnt be complaining then, thanks for the response Moose, you da man!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  6. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

Yes I am the one who builds lift kits and custom accessories. I will say i am kinda overwhelmed I have made a name on here for doing such work but yes give me call we will talk.

Steve

7. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Hmmm, yeah I would love to talk, I wonder if you know the guy who sold me my truck, he claims he's been selling a lot of them on the cape. Either way thanks a lot buddy! Ill call you sometime, probably this weekend.

8. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Bottoming out on the beach is nothing like getting jammed up on a rock or log. Masspilot can hook ya up though. My personal opinion. .........6 inch lift should be on all mini trucks hahahaha. That's why I'm working on a strait axle swap for the front of mine.......so I can get 10 hahahaha

9. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Im not as worried about damaging anything like you might from a rock or log, its just the sand is literally piling up in the undercarriage, packed in there in spots. Either way I think your right about the lift, im sure either way it makes sense.

10. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Ohhhh k...... So for starters any newbies (or veterans for that matter) out there that happen to read this thread; my opinion of how these trucks do in beach sand has officially changed! Ive omitted a few times already on this forum that im not very mechanically inclined, but had I known then what I know now I would have to say driving a stock setup in deep beach sand turns out to be significantly risky!

The air intake (on my 94' U42T at least) is directly under the seat and in my experience there is a LOT of sand that gets kicked up into the under carriage when driving in beach sand, I don't know about any other trucks but I don't see how sand getting into the intake could be avoided. Of course you would expect the air filter to stop any of the sand from getting any further but it turns out that's not necessarily true. After driving the truck on the beach at least 10 times over the course of the summer I found a PILE of sand in my air box! I nearly cried! Like I said already im not terribly mechanically inclined and I should have realized before there was an issue but until recently when my carb got clogged it didn't occur to me that there may be so much sand being sucked up! If you read this thread you would know I was very suspicious but at the end of the day here I am.

Long story short..... I sucked up a good deal of sand into the intake and at least some of it got past the filter and clogged my carb, still not sure if it did any more damage than that but as of right now im still getting pretty white smoke from my exhaust. My mechanic said let him know if it persisted and or got worse but he thought it was something still burning off, maybe even condensation, before I got it to the shop I had flooded the ell out of it as well so it could still be burning off gas. So we'll see but im hoping the problem is solved for now.

So now ill be installing a 5" lift that I ordered from Mass Pilot (Which I ordered before I clogged my carb) with some bigger tires and most likely a snorkel as well. My plan had been to only do the lift but after seeing all that sand piled up in my air box it looks a lot like ill also be installing a snorkel. All added up the cost of me being able to use this truck on the beach (without killing it) will be around $1300!! Again maybe im not the most mechanically inclined but I just want to say to anyone out there who may be considering using one of these trucks in deep beach sand, there's a good chance you will need to at the very least get a snorkel kit and for the overall health of the vehicle get a lift kit as well. That being said I do love the truck and it was really fun on the beach while it lasted, and if the engine is ok once the lift and tires plus snorkel are on there ill be smiling!!:cool:

11. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

So! Anyone know anything about installing a snorkel on a U42T :pop: Mass Pilot may be able to hook me up with one but im just putting out feelers for what my options are. Thanks!

12. You need a snorkel for the beach?? In saltwater??

13. Never mind just read your post on the page before, I see where your coming from now

14. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Been looking through the threads re snorkel kits, looks like theres a number of cheapish options. Still not very clear on how there done, haven't seen a pic of inside the air box or heard much re the filter situation but after looking at my own setup im starting to spin the wheels. If anyone has done a snorkel for there Mitus please shoot me a message, either way almost looking forward to figuring it out.

15. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on the white smoke im seeing come out of my exhaust? The carb was just removed and cleaned thoroughly and as already stated there had been some beach sand in there clogging it up. Since I've got it back which was just yesterday its been smoking, its not a heavy smoke, its pretty translucent and it only seems to happen at the top of 2nd and most of 3rd, a little in 4th and not as much in 5th. I've read over some of the threads and it sounds like if there was serious problem than the smoke should be pretty dense and perhaps I would be seeing coolant leaking? Im really nervous that I've done something serious to the engine, but it runs pretty much fine. I suppose it has stalled a few times when I slow down and turn but only twice, otherwise idles smooth. And I don't know if this is relevant, sounds crazy to me but if I let the truck roll just a little in neutral and pull the ebrake the engine dies down and almost stalls then comes back up.

16. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Don't mind me just thinking out loud, feel free to chime if you want. After reading some stuff on line I checked the coolant level to see if it may be leaking into the engine and its not low, its actually a little bit high, and more concerning is the color. Its pretty brown! Not a dark brown, more like a redish brown but not brite. There are no signs of any leaks but is it possible that oil is getting into the coolant and not the other way around? Freaking out here would much appreciate any input.

17. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

I had changed the oil as soon as I got it back yesterday and just checked it again and it looks fine, doesn't appear to me like the coolant is getting into it. And the white smoke doesn't seem very moist and the exhaust isn't dripping at all so im feeling pretty confident the gasket is ok. Still pretty nervous, I really think something must be wrong. Oh and it smokes at high rpm's, when I rev it it starts getting worse. Again don't mind me, im just realying info here in case anyone has any ideas, thanks again all!

18. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

If you had sand in your carb. you might as well cut your wrist. Its over.
    If you are using OEM air filter I dont see anyway sand can get into carb. The OEM air filters have seals at each end that does a 100% seal.
    My two cents someone installed a non OEM filter.
    Ive had a couple of different trucks(daihatsu/suzuki) at the beach over several yrs. and yes I had sand in the outer side of of filter but it never passed the filter.
    Blue smoke = oil burning(valves leaking, piston rings belly up or both), white smoke = coolant getting into cylinders(leaking head gasket).
    Dirty reddish water in radiator = hadnt been changed ever.
    Do a cold compression test on each jug and see what readings come up. If you are in the 140psi + range you most likely are ok.
    The compression test will tell the tell.

19. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Yikes! That's what I was afraid of!!!! Not sure if the filter is original or not, it looks original and it seems to seal well, it definitely stopped a lot of sand, I have no idea how it got passed.... I don't think a lot got passed it but I don't know how much it takes. Judging by the smoke issue though I have a feeling I should prepare the razor and bath. If it is a gasket though wouldn't it be possible to replace it? or would it not be worth it? And if it is a gasket wouldn't there be some coolant leaking. I mean the oil looks fine??? Coolant level hasn't dropped at all..... Ahhh your probably right, I think im in denial.... Either way thanks for the response trax! Ill try to get her tested asap.

20. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Is it easy to test the compression on these trucks? I mean is it something any shop should be able to do or is there a special tool needed specifically for mini trucks?