1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BC RHD Ban?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by mattdv, Mar 27, 2010.

1. mattdv

mattdv New Member

The guy laying a patio for my mom drives a RHD Toyota flatdeck, crewcab. When she asked him about them (cause i'm looking) he said he loves it and recommends them. But he also mentioned that BC may be going the way of Quebec. Is this something we should be worried about? Is there a grandfather clause where once it's registered the vehicle says? I don't want to buy a vehicle and then have it changed to not road worthy.

kastles

2. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Jeeze, I hope not, I would have thought they'd have a more open mind.

3. MiniBrutes1

MiniBrutes1 New Member

No, They already tried once and failed. Because they were proven wrong.

4. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

How did they manage to ban them in Quebec then?

I will admit, I'm a little worried about this too.

5. Meesho

Meesho Member

Civil law VS. Common law system.

Besides if there was a ban, all existing vehicles would be grandfathered in.

6. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Oh, good, thanks Meesho

7. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

Not going to happen, the public backlash would be so huge that they would not even dare to mention it in any public forums. If you add up all the RHD vehicles in BC it would top 20,000, you don't want to piss off a constituancy that large.

Join IVOAC if you want to learn more about what is going on with RHD vehicles.

Jon.

8. Meesho

Meesho Member

I think much more than 20,000.

9. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

By now it's more likely closer to 30,000, I was just throwing a # out there that I was sure of. Believe me, they will have a battle of epic purportions if they try that Quebec BS out here. Quebec really isn't a province any more, more like a district, they do things a little Draconian there, kinda like how France operates. I feel for the RHD community there.

Jon.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

wonder if ICBC would give anyone a statistic to how many RHD are on the roads..

11. Psilosin

Psilosin Member

Well they did try and give that statistic in their flawed now infamous "40% more likely to crash" report. However when the 'data' was examined under a FOI request it turns out they classed anything imported as RHD and there were also a number of duplicates entries and other less than kosher irregularities. A real class act...

The unfortunate reality is the data didn't even need to be real...so many people/organizations took the report at face value and believe it as the truth and will not be convined otherwise now. :frustration:

12. bacon

bacon New Member

It's gotta make you wonder,RHD vehicles being great quality and value. Is is possible the "big 3" don't like us? My ICBC rate doesn't reflect a higher accident rate.
    2nd What about all those garbage/ recycling and mail delivery vehicles?

13. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

I heard the ICBC ban story from a parts guy who ranted the whole time he sold me an oil filter. Claimed it was because you had to pull so far into the opposing lane to see to pass, you were as good as dead.
    I ended up telling him ICBC was great because it penalized bad drivers and not age groups or car types, that ANYONE who pulled in the opposing lane to see if it's safe to pass was tailgating and should be fined and yanked off the road, LHD or RHD.
    Besides in the whole year I've had my Mitsu, I've only passed maybe six vehicles in total (pass through Vanderhoof BC, you can pass some of those dawdling farmers with a kid's tricycle on Hwy16!)

14. Stuff99

I have only passed about 10 or so people and just happened to have the speed and momentum atm to make the pass.

also I use the right side to observe if there is oncoming traffic and if i have a passenger i use their assistance then make the call when i get out to look.

15. anthill

anthill Member

16. Stuff99

Anthill, would make sense. the human eyes sees more shades of green then any other colour. just depends if you are colour blind lol!