1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Chapstick, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Chapstick

Chapstick New Member

I have a 1993 Suzuki. Mini truck
    the Battery went bad. Where do I find a battery for this truck. It's about 7-1/2"x 5" with very small terminals. What should I replace it with?

Thanks
    Chapstick

2. DeMag

DeMag Member

I replaced mine saturday with a lawn n garden battery, was really suprized how fast it cranks. Believe the cca was 365

3. Chapstick

Chapstick New Member

Thanks for the Info.
    I have looked all over and on one seems to have anything to match. I'll check in on the Lawn and garden battary

Thank you
    chapstick

4. project_x

project_x Member

Odyssey PC925 has lots of oomph and fits in place

5. erixun

erixun Member

Not to hi-jack the thread, but how about installing a small car battery? Would the extra amps hurt anything? I am thinking about installing one and just making a small holder that bolts on where the original one is, and putting on normal terminals? Maybe even getting one of those latching black boxes that are on the front of camp trailers.....

You could mount a metal gas (jerry) can holder to the frame (painted BLACK ofcourse) and install a aftermarket battery tray/holder in it. My 1000 amp truck battery only weighs 39lbs... and would fit in the jerry can holder...hmmm...extra power would be good out in the middle of nowhere and about two steps from BFE, which is where I usually run into problems:sly:

Just a thought, what do you guys think?

6. starpuss

starpuss Member

I made up a setup to put 2 semi truck batteries on a mini. I think it will work real nice now all I need to do is get time to mount the box on the truck. 2500 Cold cranking amps J

It is going to go right behind the cab and under a back seat.

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

2500cca:eek: you could drive the truck on that...I found the stock battery for mine with higher cca...heres the thread
    http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=6258

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

O'rielly's Auto Parts 325 ca battery 39.95. They work great.

9. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

I have a 99' Suzuki Carry. My battery is under the seat instead of along the side of the frame like the older style trucks. My Japanese Panasonic battery went bad so I looked several places for a replacement with the smaller posts to no avail. I finally found a great deal at Wal-Mart. The battery I went with was an Ever Start 51-4 with 435 CCA. I had to buy some standard terminals for the regular sized posts, but I just attached the original terminals to the standard sized terminals which then connect to the battery. No cutting the original terminals off or rewiring. I just added some dielectric grease to help ward off corrosion. Worked like a champ for around $70 with a 5year warranty as apposed to $200+ for the Odyssey Battery. Now it turns that engine over like never before. I didn't like the idea of using a lawn and garden battery. Many people are only getting about a year of service out of them and the CCA is much less. The Ever Start 51-4 is an actual automotive battery that is almost the same deminsions as my original battery but just slightly taller. It fit perfectly in the original battery tray like a glove. They sell this battery in two types with your choice of left or right side positive for your particular application.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  10. DeMag

DeMag Member

I checked three different Walmarts, two NAPA's, one TS, two Advance Auto places and none had one with the correct dimensions to fit in the stock box along side the frame on a Daihatsu. I could find the right width or the right thickness but not both in the same battery 5" thick x 8" wide (is tight). Over twenty years ago I worked for Interstate Batteries and rememberd the Mazda Miata battery was small so I called the local warehouse where I use to work and checked, it is close but wouldn't fit $80.
    I don't mind using the Lawn n Garden battery with 365 cca as long as it continues to work, if a person added a winch, extra lights, etc. then more cca would have to be used. Some of these speciality splaces that deal with car stereo's, amp's, etc. carry a sealed battery with 800 cca that will fit with the correct demensions if you want to blow $180-$200. There is also a place about twenty minutes from me that advertises "rebuild you battery while you wait", they can't rebuild mine but can order a new one 450 cca in 3-5 days for under $100 with the pencil posts.
    I didn't change my ends or cut the wires with the lawn n garden battery, I used the original bolts and ran them through the holes in the square posts with the ends still on the wires, the rubber boot on the hot side even covers the post completley.
    Whatever works and what you can afford but I'm not big on half azz'n anything.

11. slimbad

slimbad Member

12. dmcrx7

dmcrx7 New Member

try your local electrical supply house for exit/ups batteries, and the like.
    much cheaper than odyssey and same technology.
    Powersonic
    Part # PS-12350NB, it's an AGM, 35 ah

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  13. R.E101

R.E101 Member

optima redtop tons of power
    dry cell
    lifetime warranty
    it fit my stock battery tray and holder

14. erixun

erixun Member

Pictures? What kind of truck?

15. R.E101

R.E101 Member

My truck is 87 daihatus hijet the battery I used is
    optima red
    model 12853 group red 75/35
    dimensions are l 9 5/16 w 6 3/16 h 7 5/8
    918 cc and 720 cca it has tons of pwer and my stock alternator has no issues keep it charged. it fits my battery tray like a glove. Also if you have a costco in your area they sale them there for 109.00 most other places are 130-140.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.php

best battery's ive ever owned

good luck