1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

battery went bad

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by timn3, Jul 16, 2008.

1. timn3

timn3 New Member

the battery went bad today on my 92 jumbo:( does anyone know how many cranking amps them battery,s are that would give me an idea on what bat to look for ........thanks

2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

While I don't have the exact answer, I'd measure the battery box and get the battery with the highest CCA (cold cranking amps) that will fit the space. You put less stress on the battery if it's "Super Sized".
    JMHO

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i think you have to shop more by dimension than by CCA... unless you can find the specs on the stock battery online somewhere

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

If you've got the money. I've been eyeing an Optima battery I believe will fit w/o changing the battery terminals.

Part Detail
    Group Number: D51 (9071-167)
    YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; Grp. D51; Cold Crank Amp 450; Crank Amp 575; Res. Capacity 66; Amp Hour 38; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-5 1/16 in.; H- 8 15/16 in.; BOXED;

-Greg

5. Colin

Colin Member

Try a lawn tractor battery - they're shorter than the stock battery, but the footprint size is similar. Also, the terminals bolt on rather than using a conventional peg and clamp style setup. You'll have to modify the hold-down strap and cable connections.

Good news is you can get a high-performance lawn tractor battery for about $40. :)

Colin

6. Subaru

Subaru Member

I will second that......
    Good time to check the whole charging system as well,no matter how good a battery,a bad alternator or wiring will leave ya sitting just as easy

7. timn3

timn3 New Member

battery

thanks everone i went with a garden tractor battery i run alot of electronics in my truck 2m ham radio etc so far the battery is holding up fine the only thing im worried about is it getting jared around alot and going bad i have it straped down good but my truck is run in the woods alot on bad roads anyway time will tell

8. gbrecke

gbrecke New Member

A good source of batteries with these small terminals can be found at your toyota dealer, they are used in the Prius for the electronics I guess.

Fact is, the battery I got PERFECTLY filled my 94 Hijet battery tray, and is far nicer that what the truck came with..

G

9. D'Animal

D'Animal Member

I took my old battery in a got a new battery that was a smidjen taller but had sleeves to except the standard batter posts. My cable were shot anyway so I got a new 48" poistive cable and a new 6" negative cable. I was out the door for around $90 wich included the disposal fee of my old battery.

10. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

Do the "high performance" lawn tractor batteries last longer than a standard lawn tractor battery or do they just have more cranking amps? I've never had much luck getting anymore than 18 to 24 months out of a standard lawn tractor battery.

11. gbrecke

gbrecke New Member

Best News is:

The Prius battery I have is as big as the stock battery tray can hold, the terminals fit, it's an AGM battery, and most important, a lot of Prius dealers swap out these batteries when no other troubles are found in the Prius. It's often their 'Do Something' approach to assure a favorable review when it comes to customer surveys for dealers.

You might get a 'like new' battery for a few bucks, I got mine for free, but not to brag right ??

12. matchstickman

matchstickman New Member

These are the ones I've been getting in all my vehicles recently, the sealed maintenance free type:

http://www.acdelco.com.au/Assets/ACDelco Batteries Catalogue.pdf
    This will take a while to load because it's a 65 page catalogue with lots of details.

Haven't got one in the Hijet yet, because it's still got the one that was in there when I got it, but it says to use S40B20L. Just take measurements before hand to make sure. You can leave these batteries sitting for about a year without use and they will start up fine. Don't have to worry about topping up fluid either because they're fully sealed. Only cost a bit more than the conventional batteries.

13. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

I've used an Odyssey sealed gel battery, and it's incredible (model PC925 in a '98 Suzuki). You can check them out at www.odysseyfactory.com
    It's rated at 380 CCA, but gives you 925 amps for the first 5 seconds of cranking. And it does great in cold weather. They are expensive, but if you absolutely need your mini truck to crank in the middle of winter, then it might be worth the extra money. One of the guys who works at the battery shop I bought it from has the same battery in his big block Chevy powered race car. It's physically small in size, but packs a big punch. Fits in the battery tray of a mini with no problem (on it's side).

14. jay woods

jay woods Member

Also might want to check this out. A group 26 car battery fits perfect if you put a 1/4 inch spacer under the battery in the tray. 3 times the lawn tractor battery! works great, I am really surprised no one has done this. I just did it to mine last week. You have to change the terminals but nothing to that, I used marine terminals with new ends on the cables, just slip them over the wingnut and your done.

Jay

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  15. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i've run these in a lot of cars and dune buggies. they are totally sealed and can be mounted sideways when space is a factor. it's a U1

16. slimbad

slimbad Member

The Elusive Battery

And the hunt continues. :frustration: I think the only thing "elusive" is the "Search button" at the top - and the "Similar threads section" at the bottom of the page.

When this quest began over a year ago (Aug-07) and surprisingly titled :eek: "Looking for a battery for a Hi Jet":

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=266

and continued rearing it's ugly head:

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=331

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=650

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=741

It leads us to now. With that being said - the answer to the question that started "this" thread off is:

332 CCA
    28 AH
    52 min reserve cap

This info is for a 94 mits 550 but shud be applicable for all kei's (IMO) since my 1.0l geo calls for only 390 CCA.

Orig Daihatsu battery type 36B20L similar to mits 38B20R

The bottom line is there are many options for batteries in the above threads that other members have used. Just get a battery that fits in your tray and one that has at least the above minimum specs. It doesn't matter if the battery is for a lawn mower, atv, small car or airplane - if it fits and has the specs go for it. Hope this helps.......later, slim:)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  17. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Good point slim. Right after they find O'sama they should start looking for that peasky "Search" button :D

18. Griz

Griz Member

I went to Wal-Mart and bought their smallest car battery (it fit in the space of my mini) and 2 cable ends. I now have more cranking amp's a Wal-Mart Warranty and total cost $52

19. Dan

Dan Member

I found that the group 51 battery from "interstate" is the best fit for the Mitsubishi. The battery case is molded on theirs with wedges on the bottom of the casing that slide perfectly into the grooves in the battery box. not all manufacturers created their cases the same for the group 51's. last time i went shopping i found most with smooth cases and had to fab battery hold-downs.

20. D'Animal

D'Animal Member

The one I bought is a NS40Z battery labels DMNON.

Made in China.

21. myhijet

myhijet Member

Had the original battery die in my 97 hijet. Bought a PC 625 Odyssey. The clamp on the pos was eroded away so I clipped the end off but left the bolt hole and slid it over the battery posts. Did this to the neg also. Spins over faster than it ever has. Lots of room left over in the battery box now. Kinda pricey but works well.

Also, Odyssey batteries can be mounted in any position but inverted and can be shipped ground or air.

22. Damien Rorick

Damien Rorick New Member

iam going to build a winch bumper for mine and iam going to mount a optima red top somewere maybe build a bigger battery box or mount it behind the seat