1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Question

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Darrick Cato, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Darrick Cato

Darrick Cato New Member

So I like many apparently had an ordeal finding a battery. I ended up buying a group 51 battery which fits perfectly, and I bought some pencil tip post to standard type post adapters. Well this seems like it's going to work like a charm except with the adaptor and new battery the original Japanese terminals stick up kind of high, and even though the seat closes I know it's touching the terminals.
    So my question: Is it safe to have the seat sitting on the terminals, or am I going to electrocute or burn my passengers butt?

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I think you will short things out and most likely destroy your alternator. Is there any way you can tie a piece of conveyor belting or similar insulator over the top of the battery?

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

There were more than a few fires started in the old Aircooled VW's that had the battery under the rear seat by passengers bouncing & shorting the terminals until they started putting protection for the battery. Is it possible that the terminals stick up far enough that a good hard jounce could cause the seat to come down far enough to break the top of the battery? Just something to give some thought to. Better to be safe than sorry.

Fred

4. shogun

shogun Active Member

Yes, own experience many, many years ago with my old VW beetle, I installed a too high battery and the metal parts/springs of the rear seat touched plus and minus, had a nice fire there, destroyed the complete rear seat, was lucky enough that someone with a fire extinguisher in his car stopped by.

5. Darrick Cato

Darrick Cato New Member

Well I've got the rubber thing on top of the positive side and it seems to be fine for now. At some point I will probably have the terminals changed instead of using the adapters. I've got other problems though I'll be posting in another thread.