1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery cross reference

Discussion in 'References' started by TetsuKuma, Nov 23, 2007.

1. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Well the cold weather has started to kill my (probably) stock battery.
    From what little information I could find, it's a Yuasa 30A19R. I have looked everywhere on line for a cross reference and it is only the Japanese battery sites that even show it as existing!
    Could one of you chaps give me a cross reference battery number for one that is working for you and fits in the Mitsubishi battery tray?
    Size of the Yuasa is 7 1/8" wide, 6" high and 4 3/4" deep. It has bolt on terminals, left hand side is +, right hand side is -. I am guessing it is 30ah.
    Many thanks.
    Bruce

2. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Bruce,

I have used garden tractor size batteries to replace a few of my old batteries. Was able to find those at quite a few places, relatively inexpensive. You could try Napa, Walmart, Sears, Sam's Club, Lowes, Home Depot, or pretty much any store that sells car batteries. You will find them with different "cranking amps" ratings, which will change the price some. But you should be able to pick one up for less than $30. Good luck!

Hiram

3. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Thanks Hiram,
    Guess I will just have to take the battery with me when I go to town next and stop at NAPA and the saw shop. Figured maybe someone had a number that I could just ask for...
    BG

4. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

I used a Napa 8223 (garden tractor variety) on a '94 Mitsu. Seems to have plenty of cranking power, even when the temperature is down in the teens.

-Hiram

5. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Well, the NAPA 8223 is only $39.95! The closer cross over is a Y60-N24-A but it is a bit taller at 7.25" (instead of 6") but it will fit the tray and holder just fine. Only problem is that it's $113.00 !!! I am going to look at both of them when they get them in later this week and let the actual fit and AH determine the final purchase. I hate having batteries fail but I guess it's a fact of life like everything else!

6. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Well, turns out that there are several batteries carried by Interstate Batteries that are just re-branded Yuasa's and will work fine.
    YB30L-B
    SYB16L-B
    YB16CL-B
    Y60-N24-A (but modifications of the hold down rods is required, stock bolts are a tad too short for this 6.88" high battery).
    There are others but these are rated higher for serious winter needs.

7. ddimports

ddimports Member

cca

that small battery has the highest cold cranking amps?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  8. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

The number in the part number (i.e. 30 in the YB30L-B) refers to the amp hours of the battery. For the Y60 it is the second figure, i.e. 24. This is at least how it works for Yuasa batteries. YuMicron and YuMicron CX series pack as much or more cranking power in a smaller package than the standard "maintenance needed" batteries. There seem to be several ways to go but the limiting factor for the Mitsubishi is the lip on the top of the rail. It is at the 7" level when measured up from the bottom of the battery holder frame so you can't go with the taller batteries. The plastic tray that goes under the battery is 5 1/4" X 8" so that constrains the L X W of the replacement. There is also only so much room for the bolt down bar to clamp the battery down and there are limits to the J- bolt length too. I have learned more in the last week than I ever wanted to know about finding a replacement battery for a "Japanese market only" OEM battery that was only able to show 12.2 V with a digital multi-meter and / or float two balls out of five using a 5 ball hydrometer.