1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

barely made it home

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by jtpc, Nov 7, 2008.

1. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey all,

Well, been enjoying my little truck till had a scare this evening.
    Was driving back home on a hilly back road and had 1/4 a tank.
    And all the sudden it was near empty! Nearly died on a steep hill which would have probably killed me seeing it was around 5:30pm and everyone was flying home on that back road.
    Thank God it started back up and made it up the hill.
    Had a friend pick me up and take me a mile to the house to get some fuel (figured the fuel sensor must have been a little off or something)
    Put fuel in it and I barely made it back home, which is only a mile or less!

Well, if you hadn't figured it out yet, I was leaking fuel like crazy.
    I just had a lot of work done to the truck and had the fuel filter changed.
    They didn't use the factory one, but found a counter part, which is probably the issue.
    Pulled the cover off the bed and saw that it is leaking from the tube that comes from the filter. It went about 150 km with this new filter. (with no leaking)
    So I'm guessing the hose kept slipping and slipping.

Do you all think it is because of the different fuel filter or just that the hose wasn't tight enough? Maybe this filter has too much pressure coming out??

Anyways, Now I've got to have it hauled back to Pryor I suppose.
    :frustration:

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i would just check the fit of the filter to the hoses and invest in some better hose clamps.

3. jtpc

jtpc Member

exactly, the hose clamps are strange. They are the type that have their own tension, which can't be tightened. Just got back from Lowes with some gear clamps which should do the job.

Question, with EFI, is it safe to just pull the hoses off (to get the old clamps off) both ends of the fuel filter or is there pressure that needs to be dealt with first.
    Never messed with the fuel filter, so didn't want to be blinded pulling off a pressurized hose or something.

So I have proper clamps now, just need to know the steps to take off the hoses to put the new clamps on (and if their is some procedure I don't know about).

Thanks,
    Josh

4. jtpc

jtpc Member

Just was reading about changing fuel filters, and it says you need to 'de-pressurize the fuel system'. Is this also true with the sambars? If so, what is the method?

(note, I'm not changing the filter, just pulling the two hoses off so that I can put on the new clamps)

5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

It will be under pressure right now, most of the EFI vehicles I have owned [Toyota's] have
    a way to release the pressure before hand but I don't have a clue/ or suggestion for
    you on a Sambar besides maybe disconnect the fuel pump which is right besides the filter
    and crank it over/ run it till it dies. That should get rid of the pressure.

While your doing this "unplanned" maintance I would check the diameter of the filter barb
    compared to the hose I.D. sounds to me like they found something that is way smaller like
    maybe 1/4" when it was 5/16" from factory [just a guess BTW - I haven't done a filter yet]

6. jtpc

jtpc Member

Thanks Timetripper. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what method they used to de-pressurize it when they changed the filter.

The gear clamps I got are 1/4" to 5/8" and it looks like it till be close. I'll check it out.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

NAPA filter

Please read my post #23 on the second page of this thread for the updated filter to use.

Also a "Sticky" here on the filter to use

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  8. jtpc

jtpc Member

Thanks Timetripper. I seem to keep owing you with as much as you help me out on here! Maybe someday I'll be able to answer one of your questions (assuming you'll have one in the future!)

I printed off the info of the NAPA filter and I have a NAPA parts place here in Claremore that could probably get that in.
    I'm going to have to find out what filter they used and its stats.
    It was only a $15.00 filter, so no big loss if I replace it, but hopefully it will be close enough.
    A guy from minitruck.ca I talked to has a sambar filter that would work as well, but I spoke with him on the phone, telling him the situation and he said that the clamps usually get old and need to be replaced with gear clamps later on anyway, so perhaps that is all that needs to be done.

But I will find out more tomorrow with what kind of filter they used and also the method to de-pressurize it the easiest. (assuming I can get ahold of him on Saturday)

9. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

No worries, just keep driving a Sambar and I got you covered :D

10. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

The only thing I didn't consider till now is the age difference between our trucks
    hopefully they didn't change things in 2001 from 1991 as far as the filter goes that is
    I think this is what my stock filter looks like

Attached Files:

11. slimbad

slimbad Member

clamps

jtpc,

If what you are calling "gear clamps" are what I call "hose clamps" you can just loosen them up till the end comes out and then spread the clamp open, place the clamp around the hose and hold the end in place and it will screw back/tighten. I realize you have the old clamps on there - but you can just loosen them up and slide them away from your filter along the hose to allow room for the new clamps. Just an alternative to having to depressurize your fuel line. Hope this makes sense.....later, slim

12. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

good call slim, didn't even think about that!!

13. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I like slims idea but .....
    If it's all ready coming off easy while driving I think if he
    goes to slide up the old clamp it's [hose] going to come off
    the filter if it's that loose already.

14. rayallen

rayallen Member

jtpc...If it is leaking it won't have any pressure on it. Wish u lived closer to me so I could help out. ray allen

15. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey Ray Allen,

Yeah, I pulled off the hose that had slipped the most and it had no pressure. Put a new clamp on it. The hose going into the filter had also slipped about half and inch, so I need to pull it as well and put a new clamp on, but I've been working on it for 2-3 hours now and can't get it off! It is driving me crazy.
    How could this clamp be so snug yet let the hose slip? It is one of those clamps that you squeeze with pliers to cause it to loosen, yet it won't loosen enough to get the hose off.
    The mechanic from the mini-truck place might come over later and help me out with this. Now I'm paranoid about all the other hoses coming off.

(and I appreciate your offer)

16. rayallen

rayallen Member

jtpc...If you can get ahold of the clamp just pull it till the hose comes off. If there is enough room to add a new hose clamp and leave the old on on just add the new one. On the farm we run into these things all the time. I have a factory set of pliars for removing this type hose clamp. ray allen

17. jtpc

jtpc Member

Problem finally solved guys. Thanks for all of your help.
    I followed your suggestions and squeezed the clamp pass the metal part of the fuel filter and up the hose line. At this point I was able to just slip the hose off of the filter and slide the old clamp off.
    It sounds simple now, but it just hadn't occurred to me to do it this way.
    So now I have the new clamp on. :)

Thanks guys,
    ~Josh

18. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Glad to hear you are back in business

19. jtpc

jtpc Member

:) Ha ha, yeah, almost.
    started it up and it has two tiny holes in the outgoing line (the one that had slipped off the most, which was the easy one to change the clamp on).
    So It is spraying fuel out of the two holes like crazy.
    Don't know if the holes came about when I pulled that line off to change the clamp or if they were spraying when the line had slipped (or just before the hose slipped).
    Doesn't matter now I suppose.

But they are bringing me a new hose now.
    After that, I should be up and running. :)

20. jtpc

jtpc Member

Got new hose on and all is well. Took it into town to gas it up. Running great.
    :)

Thanks again guys,
    ~Josh

21. Thanks to Time Tripper for the above post for the Subaru fuel filter, I tought i'd comment as I did just install the NAPA 3884 fuel filter on my 2000 Subaru Sambar.The big difference in the stock filter verses the NAPA 3884 is the mount bracket holes .The OEM filter has 2 where the NAPA 3884 has 1 mount hole,however I just used a larger flatwasher on the lower mount bolt,it snaggs the edge of the new mount bracket and holds it just fine.The line out of the filter needs to be just slightly tweeked for correct angle and also the bump flange on this line is located very near the filter body so one has to be sure to get the hose pushed all the way to the end of the outlet line to be sure the hose will go over the "flange bump" then clamping the hose between the filter body and the bump so the hose will not slide off when system is pressured up.I did have a hard time getting the hose over the flange bump and finally streched the opening of the hose by putting the closed jaws of needle nose pliers inside the hose and pulling the handles apart till the end of the hose opened up abit ,this (and a touch of white grease)allowed me to get the hose over the bump and in place for a clamp.All work was peformed thru the bed top access hole.
    Hope this helps someone out..thanks again to Time Tripper for posting this filter number!

22. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I gotta tell you. He da man!

23. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Important Update

After having just changed the fuel filter on my Sambar I now reccomend NOT to use the filter # I suggested.

The reason being is that the inlet and outlet are reversed, so what used to be the outlet on the stock filter is actually the inlet on the one I suggested.

I am surprised that no one noticed this when they changed out theirs.

I have now found a filter I can confirm works well for the S/C EN07 Sambar.

It is the NAPA FIL 3882 c/w bracket [needs to be adapted] or FIL 3597 w/o bracket.

The application for this filter orginally was for a Suzuki Gran Vitara 99~05.

See attached .pdfs of the NAPA parts.

Attached Files: