1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad fuel economy

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Jimmy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I recently purchased a 94 Suzuki, put in new air filter and new plugs and it is only getting 22mpg. That is after converting Km to miles. My driving habits are highway and country roads at 50-55km with some slower pasture speeds. The truck seems to start and drive fine, What could be up? It seems that it does not roll easy, I checked all the brakes and none seem to be dragging. Need help, fuel economy is why I purchased the truck?
    Jim:

2. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Carb or EFI?

3. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

carb

It is carb

4. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

If your mechanicals check out ok most problems can be traced to carb adjustments. I have the translated carb adjustment sheets if you would like.

5. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

If you want them, just PM your Email address and I'll send them tomorrow....I'm hitting the hay.

6. wtecki

wtecki New Member

They Don-in-Japan if you can please send me a copy of the translated carb adjustment sheets also, that would help me with the same problem.

Thank you.
    Wes wtecki@hotmail.com

7. Colin

Colin Member

Check Don's gallery (link at the top of this page) - he has posted the translated carb sheets there.

8. Suzi-q

Suzi-q New Member

It seems that it does not roll easy,

If you have upgraded wheels and tire make sure there is no rubbing. My 90 Suzi came with 23x8x12 All Trails on wheels with the wrong offset. The rears were okay but the springs on the front struts were rubbing the inside sidewall of the tire. Needless to say, she didn't roll very easy.
    Since I'm cheap, new longer studs and wheel spacers (I don't like the washer spacer idea) solved my problem w/o buying new wheels. I did have to buy new tires as I did not trust the worn ones. I was happy to find two in stock at my local Tractor Supply for $55 each - best price I've seen, in stock or not.
    I just put her to good use cleaning the shore of Mud-Hole Lanier (formerly know as Lake Lanier) and she worked like a charm. If any of y'all will be travelling to the Atlanta area for the holidays, please bring water! ;)

9. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Yes..check my photo gallery for the sheets. If they are unreadable for some reason, let me know and I will Email them to you.

10. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

fuel economy

Thanks for the post of the carb adjustments, I'll give them a try. As far as my tires rubbing, they are not, it just seems that when you let off the gas it slows very quickly. Could be me, just not use to a lite weight vehicle.
    Jim

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

That would be engine braking. The engine may be small, but at high RPM, taking your foot off of the throttle will create a huge amount of vacuum in the intake. The Suzuki Samurai that I owned years ago, would do the exact same thing, and it would turn 4200 RPM on the highway in 5th. While other drivers in the mountains would be riding their brakes on steep downhill grades, I'd have to keep my foot in the gas to maintain speed. My Hijet is the exact same way, although I'm not sure of the revs it turns at 55 mph.

12. Yardscape

Yardscape Member

Can you put it in neutral with the parking brake off and push it really easy? If so, nothing is rubbing. If not, something is rubbing.

This may sound crazy, but you aren't leaking fuel anywhere are you?

I just got mine and have maybe put 50 miles on it. I got 20 mpg plowing snow last week.

Good Luck

13. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I have left it in neutral with the brake off on a slight imcline and it will roll, but not as easy as it should. I have jacked up each wheel and turned and they seem to turn easy fairly easy. The back turns easier than the front. As far as a gas leak, I have not noticed any fuel on the ground, but I will check again for leaks while parked with engine off and while running. It does have 23X8.00x12 all trail tires. It also has a four speed trans.
    Thanks
    Jim

14. speedy67

speedy67 Member

The All Trails will tend to be power robbers, therefore cause the truck to be a gas guzzler. All-trails are a lower pressure tire than normal street tires, therefore, they will have a higher rolling resistance, couple that with the larger diameter and then the extra width, and you've got a recipe for poor fuel economy.

As far as the difference in the resistance to turning comparing the front to the rear, that is likley due to the complexity of the front drive train - CV joints, compared to the simplistic solid rear axle.

5 (6??) speed transmisions give a small overdrive for economy, I don't know the percentage, but there really isn't the large RPM drop that we're used to in our North American vehicles. Maybe 6 - 7% ? Anybody know for sure?

15. gbrad

gbrad Member

Does it have a suspension lift? There have been some posts on this board indicating that the front axles may bind at the differential CV joint connection against the housing.

Just a thought.

gbrad

16. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

Yes, it does have a 3 in lift, when I had it jacked up, I didnt feel any real bind when spinning the wheels.
    Jim

17. dwest

dwest New Member

Jimmy when you jack your truck up that would take the bind out. It would bind back when you droped it back down and put pressure back on.
    dest

18. cyberaxe

cyberaxe New Member

Are those the stock size tires? If not, you may be experiancing the same thing I did when I swapped my stock 35 inch tires foe 37 inch tires.

First the speedo was off quite a bit, and when I checked my milage, I freaked until some waayyy smarter guy than me did the milage calculation adjusted for the difference in tire size.

just a thought...

19. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I'm not sure what the stock size tire is, but I checked the odometer for one mile and it shows 1.6km which is about right.
    Jim

20. Yardscape

Yardscape Member

My truck is not here right now so I can't measure the actual height of the stock tires, but I'm sure it is less than 23"

What happens is that it takes more power (gas) to get up to speed. Once there, you will be going faster than your speedo says and your rpms will be lower than with the smaller diameter stock tires. If you could stay up at a "cruising speed" for a longer period of time you would get better mileage with the larger tires. The problem is the "getting up to speed" part that is using your fuel up.

21. myhijet

myhijet Member

I just measured my spare. It is 21 inches tall. 21" diameter rolls 66 inches. 23 dia rolls 72 inches. km to mph factor now .68. I have the 23-8-12 all trails. Power is down but the ride is improved dramatically. The rough tread, soft or loose surface, and low pressure all contribute. Fix what you can... run 18-22 psi to help. I have one tire with a slight bead leak and when it is 10 psi or so, overdrive is useless.