1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AZ Support SB1464 Street use of Mini Trucks

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by stevert, Feb 12, 2008.

1. stevert

stevert Member

Wow

Sen Jake Flake Passed away This past Sunday.:(
    A cool Guy! RIP JAKE!

2. stevert

stevert Member

So here is where we’re at.

The Senate wants info on the Air Quality on these Trucks. This is the last hurdle I Believe?!?!

They sought the advice of the AZ ADEQ Legislative Liaison Jim Buster for info.

The ADEQ is basically the federal gov EPA in our state.

Jim wanted me to get together with them to inspect one of these mini trucks.

He said that he was interested to know that there OBDll Ports. I said though Japanese software in the trucks might not be compatible.

Anyone out there know different? Please let me know.

Fed law requires 1996 or older to Link with Smog Equip. He said The Fed Gov views Rhino’s, Side By Sides and ATV’s as motorcycle engines. They would only require a smog sniffer test in Phoenix where smog is required but where Maricopa Co AZ and other non Phoenix Co. do not require smog.

I suggested maybe to change the Bill that states this and maybe it will pass sooner! In addition charge the 25mph restriction due to pollution.

Any thought’s out there?

Jim did seem interested in trying to help us out! He was a nice person to talk to. The senate is waiting on his report. So just as soon as I can get it smogged in AZ, the sooner We can get this bill into Law!

If anyone has smogged a truck, let me know! If your willing to meet with the ADEQ with me, Let me know.

Thanks!

Steve
    (928) 505-8378
    SteveRt@Frontiernet.net

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

my truck is a 99 with almost 100k km on it, it passed emissions with flying colors!! let me know what i can do to help. i think you should have said 96 and newer should have OBD compliance. my truck (i think) is OBDII compliant... it has the port and linked partially with the system here. they took readings and did the emission test without the dyno test.

if you need any help call me 623 326 6826..

cheers
    milton

4. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

Sorry I do not have my emmison paperwoek.. But mine pased and will donate my truck for your convinance.
    Chris.. Phx.

5. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

It might help to have a smog tech available and participate in the meeting. Anyone know a friend that is a smog teck in AZ?

Jeff

6. stevert

stevert Member

Letter from Ron Gould

----- Original Message -----
    To: "STEVE" <STEVERT@FRONTIERNET.NET>
    Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:18 PM
    Subject: RE: sb1464 Jim Buster

Steve,
    I met with Jim Buster from ADEQ and Kevin Beasty from ADOT Last week. They didn't know about the Ok. law. Having 1 or 2 smog tested in Phoenix would be a great idea.

Senator Ron Gould
    Serving Arizona's 3rd District
    1.800.352.8404 x64138

7. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Might be worth stopping by a smog station and see if they would print some copies of other vehicles that had been tested that day. You can show the difference between the mini truck and what they already allow on the road.

Also a smog of a 1990 or 91 and a 99 and newer might also help. That way we may prevent them from arbitrarily setting a cutoff date of whats legal. It will also show that no matter what year the mini truck, they still pass smog.

Jeff

8. stevert

stevert Member

Lawngascaulk

Thnks for the smog paperwork. Here is the letter and response on you smog.

----- Original Message -----
    To: STEVE
    Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 4:41 PM
    Subject: RE: SB 1464 AZ smog Test Report that Passed!

Steve,
    I just forwarded the test to all Senators. Let's hold off on more tests for the time being and see what the bureaucrats say now.
    Senator Ron Gould
    Serving Arizona's 3rd District

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 12:58 PM
    To: Buster.Jim@azdeq.gov; jb9@azdeq.gov; Jack Harper; Ron Gould
    Subject: SB 1464 AZ smog Test Report that Passed!

Hello

Here ia a smog test done in AZ on a mini Truck that passed. Please contact me to arrange a time, date and locatiion to bring in more mini trucks for smog checks. I have several people that are willing to donate there truck and time for this. I just need to give them the details.

Thanks
    Steve Astorga

(928) 505-8378

9. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Steve, do you or anybody else have any updated information on this bill? Is it still alive?

Jeff

10. Colin

Colin Member

This is all I could find on SB 1464.

11. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

12. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Thanks smoothstroke. Nothing shows on the calendar when the next session is. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Jeff

13. tucsontrek

tucsontrek New Member

OBDII Compatibility Test, AND Support from AZ State Senators

I happen to work part time as an AutoZone parts manager. AutoZone will do a FREE "Check Engine" test on any 1996 or newer vehicle with an OBDII port. The easiest way to see if the Japanese software in your Kei truck is compatible (and I'll bet it is the same as the US-sale cars have) is to hook your favorite bug-smasher to their tester and push "Enter." In less than 30 seconds you should know if it's going to work or not....

BTW, here's replies I got from two of our AZ state senators regarding my latest push for approving the use of Kei trucks on AZ highways...

"With out much study of this issue I believe that I support your cause and will watch for legislation this next session.
    Senator Sylvia Allen"

"We will keep trying.

Rep. Trish Groe...via Treo phone"

14. stevert

stevert Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  15. o8k

o8k Member

This thread seemed to have just fizzed! The Bill Status overview seems to indicate it was again active and passed to the senate 6/26/09

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/1r/bills/sb1464o.asp

EDIT:

I dont understand the nominclature of our AZ government but when searching around in the bills section for "venture truck" ... the bill tracking this issue this year seems to be SB1356 - 491R not 1464... /me shruggs.

either way just wondering why this thread fizzed w/ not even a verdict or conclusion.

anybody?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  16. stevert

stevert Member

Sb1464

SB1464 no longer reflect mini trucks.

Each year a bill numeric value is re used for other agenda's.

In this case the code sb1464 refects SB1464 State Treasurer to submit an annual financial condition statement to the Governor, President of the Senate, and Speaker of the House of Representatives. SB1464 requires the State Treasurer to submit an annual financial condition statement to the Governor, President of the Senate, and Speaker of the House of Representatives. Additionally, the Treasurer is required to provide the Governor with an accurate statement of receipts and expenditures of public monies received and paid from the State Treasury during the preceding fiscal year on or before November 1st of each year. This statement is public record and is available for inspection at the Office of the State Treasurer.

There will come a day that I will fight again to allow mini trucks for use on AZ highways. When I do, I hope you will get behind the cause.

Thanks.. Steve

17. o8k

o8k Member

Count me in.

18. stevert

stevert Member