1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Az Street Legal News Flash Alert 24aug09!!! Street Legal As Of 17 July 2009

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by stevert, Jul 24, 2009.

1. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

I had no import certificate. And the young lady (at the third party store) and I decided it would be alot quicker for a bonded title without any names to do a search on. Which I would have If I had produced the bill of sale.

2. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Insurance

as cheap as chips 39 bucks for a year all within 1hr of calling her,with state farm if u need the number of the lady I used PM me

3. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Because i didn't import it and I bought it off some one.
    I really don't think u needed to have put a bond on it if u had a bill of sale as they would have punched in the vin numbers and shown No record of it being in the system so there ended the name search. I have only ever used (at the third party store) once and never again, I knew more than they did and then they Charge u>?

4. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Live and learn, Next time I will go through MVD. Bad taste in my mouth from the first trip to MVD a year or so back when I thought i was going to license it then.

5. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Read It and weep (tears of joy)

Just got home with the plate. Sweet:D

Attached Files:

6. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Yeah! Brill Grade"A"

7. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

Went back to MVD today for the forth time with all proper paperwork and letter and still NO PLATES....this time they say need to see truck again and will be looking for DOT on all light lens.

8. o8k

o8k Member

I believe this needs to be added to this thread:

Summary: There are several things that you can now do in AZ and this Office Memo T5474 (see first post) makes these things quite easy now (this thread covers the initial requirements needed to aquire so i will NOT go into that again). But here is what you can do asuming you have the stuff you need:

1. Get an AZ Certificate of Title
    2. Get an AZ License Plate
    3. Get an annually renewable OHV sticker (aforementioned "R" endorsement)
    4. Get an annually renewable On-highway registration for the vehicle (aformentioned "H" endorsement)
    5. Get the nessisary insurance needed per AZ vehicle registration process.

In AZ you can have the first three and it will Still not be Street Legal. So be advised.

Item number 4. above requires emissions testing on all vehicles that are 5 years or older EDIT: (in certain counties, which i believe are only the counties Phoenix and Tuscon are in, Maracopa and xxxx?). And all Items 1-5 are required to be street legal for your little mini truck. and the term Street legal i believe does not mean all roads anywheres so be advised. (plus if ive left out any other garbage that AZ wants you to do to register your OHV). Ill say though, i found no other garbage that the MVD troubled me with. I leave this site as a point of reference (though there are many others):
    http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#3

If i would have known this information to this level prior, i would have given the poor guy (my truck) a tuneup b4 i went through all that, as i did not pass emissions right out of the box (e.g. i bought it, did nothing to it, took it to the emissions place).

All in all, the DMV here in the west valley PHX gave me no trouble what so ever and the process was a breeze (minus my emissions trouble).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    Acerguy likes this.
  9. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

All True UNLESS you live outside the valley. Then there is no emissions required. Congrats on getting you tag. I work in peoria and will keep an eye out for your truck.

10. erixun

erixun Bronze Supporting Member

utah's law

Here is a link from Utah's public safety website about street legal ATV's, on the last page it has a pic of a mini. In Utah they are recognized as a type II ATV, I got plates for mine, had to have like 8 pieces of paper, safety inspection, bill of laden from shipping, invoice from dealer (bill o' sale), import cert in Japanese as well as the english translation, application for a Utah title, VIN inspection, a picture of the vehicle etc.... and then they still had to talk to the supervisor, I had to show them the flyer from the link from the Utah public safety website before they believed me. The result? Got a Utah title and plates!!:D

Maybe this will help someone else somehow to convince their DMV to issue a title.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/Street Legal ATV Requirements.pdf

11. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Yup! This is true ... all Arizona is not in the “Valley” here in Cochise County no smog tests in fact u don’t even have to have a Catalytic convertor on a vehicle cos no one checks[love red-neck country:D] and u only need an OHV sticker if u plan to take it off road :eek:

12. o8k

o8k Member

Count me among the masses of street legal minis in AZ! Thanks again to all who helped make this possible...

13. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

THIS IS AMAZING NEWS !!!!!!!!! I now will have to gather my paperwork up, and head off to the MVD and once again plead my case. Only this time I will have a memo number for them to refer to, and maybe after owning my truck for the past 3 years, I will be able to register the vehicle for BOTH on and off highway use. Thank you for continuing to fight the fight and making this a reality. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

14. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

keep us update as u should not have problem:frustration: being in AZ

15. o8k

o8k Member

After walking the MVD tellers through the Memo and watching the MVD supervisor do the same. I realized how many different ways one can interpret it (quite to my supprise). I am supprised the MVD doesnt clean up their memo's a little better. It could use a bit of polishing to avoid confusion (but im a document nerd).

16. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

Dieseldad,
    Let me give you a heads up if you are going to Bullhead City MVD.
    First off they have a real problem with these trucks "It’s personal for some reason" that they don't want to register them even with the office memo in hand.
    This is a list of what they made me go through after six visits......
    Notarized bill of sale from the importer, Bill of lading from shipping co., Build certificate in English, and a Notarized Japanese title all to prove that I was the legal owner. I finally had to get a Bond for one and a half times the value of the truck.
    Next it was a Level 1 inspection, then Level 2 inspection to prove I put DOT headlights, tail lights, blinkers, reflectors, and then DOT tires.
    I now have Title, Plate and both stickers on my 96 Suzuki. Good Luck!!!!!

17. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

Rob Massuco,
    Have you heard of it being any easier in kingman or havasu? If I can avoid any further hassle I can make the trip there it would be worth it.

18. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Save yourself some hassle and don't even go through MVD. Same thing in Prescott. What a bunch of friggin A**holes. I went through Footeworks (3rd party MVD) in Prescott Valley. Had to do a Bonded title $$$ but what a pleasure dealing with normal people. I worked with Melody there. Costs a bit more but what is the value of your sanity? All I had to have was the truck. Just stated that I purchased the truck from a person at the park and swap. No previous owner name on a bill of sale made the bond alot simpler also. Not telling you to lie, this was just my situation. Good Luck!

19. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

I would take it to a third party or Kingman. Just so you know all three...Kingman,Havasu,and Bullhead have the same guy for level 2 inspections. You will most likely need a Bond eitherway. MVD will determin the amount of the Bond. It is usally one and a half times what you paid for the truck. Hope this helps
    Rob

20. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

I have some work to do still before I attempt this again. I have a tail light out on one side, a brake light on the other and my license plate light doesn't work either, and its not the bulbs. Then none of my lenses say DOT on them, how do you get around that? I also have swamp tires like smoothstroke does according to his pics and they are not DOT legal. Maybe I will just register it as an offroad vehicle then work on the rest later ??? Does anyone know of a 3rd party inspector over here in the tri-state area?