1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Az Street Legal News Flash Alert 24aug09!!! Street Legal As Of 17 July 2009

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by stevert, Jul 24, 2009.

1. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Yup! This is true ... all Arizona is not in the “Valley” here in Cochise County no smog tests in fact u don’t even have to have a Catalytic convertor on a vehicle cos no one checks[love red-neck country:D] and u only need an OHV sticker if u plan to take it off road :eek:

2. o8k

o8k Member

Count me among the masses of street legal minis in AZ! Thanks again to all who helped make this possible...

3. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

THIS IS AMAZING NEWS !!!!!!!!! I now will have to gather my paperwork up, and head off to the MVD and once again plead my case. Only this time I will have a memo number for them to refer to, and maybe after owning my truck for the past 3 years, I will be able to register the vehicle for BOTH on and off highway use. Thank you for continuing to fight the fight and making this a reality. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

4. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

keep us update as u should not have problem:frustration: being in AZ

5. o8k

o8k Member

After walking the MVD tellers through the Memo and watching the MVD supervisor do the same. I realized how many different ways one can interpret it (quite to my supprise). I am supprised the MVD doesnt clean up their memo's a little better. It could use a bit of polishing to avoid confusion (but im a document nerd).

6. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

Dieseldad,
    Let me give you a heads up if you are going to Bullhead City MVD.
    First off they have a real problem with these trucks "It’s personal for some reason" that they don't want to register them even with the office memo in hand.
    This is a list of what they made me go through after six visits......
    Notarized bill of sale from the importer, Bill of lading from shipping co., Build certificate in English, and a Notarized Japanese title all to prove that I was the legal owner. I finally had to get a Bond for one and a half times the value of the truck.
    Next it was a Level 1 inspection, then Level 2 inspection to prove I put DOT headlights, tail lights, blinkers, reflectors, and then DOT tires.
    I now have Title, Plate and both stickers on my 96 Suzuki. Good Luck!!!!!

7. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

Rob Massuco,
    Have you heard of it being any easier in kingman or havasu? If I can avoid any further hassle I can make the trip there it would be worth it.

8. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Save yourself some hassle and don't even go through MVD. Same thing in Prescott. What a bunch of friggin A**holes. I went through Footeworks (3rd party MVD) in Prescott Valley. Had to do a Bonded title $$$ but what a pleasure dealing with normal people. I worked with Melody there. Costs a bit more but what is the value of your sanity? All I had to have was the truck. Just stated that I purchased the truck from a person at the park and swap. No previous owner name on a bill of sale made the bond alot simpler also. Not telling you to lie, this was just my situation. Good Luck!

9. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

I would take it to a third party or Kingman. Just so you know all three...Kingman,Havasu,and Bullhead have the same guy for level 2 inspections. You will most likely need a Bond eitherway. MVD will determin the amount of the Bond. It is usally one and a half times what you paid for the truck. Hope this helps
    Rob

10. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

I have some work to do still before I attempt this again. I have a tail light out on one side, a brake light on the other and my license plate light doesn't work either, and its not the bulbs. Then none of my lenses say DOT on them, how do you get around that? I also have swamp tires like smoothstroke does according to his pics and they are not DOT legal. Maybe I will just register it as an offroad vehicle then work on the rest later ??? Does anyone know of a 3rd party inspector over here in the tri-state area?

11. o8k

o8k Member

The memo says nothing of requireing a level 2 inspection (where they would look at such things) but may be required at thier discression if you want to DOT Certify it. But let me inquire a bit further. Are you attempting to title it w/ a full size license plate and primary on-road use? If so, you may end up in that boat. I havent heard of anyone in here getting this accomplished in AZ to date.

The MVD gave me these options when i went in... I have paraphrased and hope i represented this info correctly...

The AZ memo provides direction to MVD employees for three types of Mini-truck operation (in this order in the memo)

1. Off road only
    (you get a small ATV license plate with the "R" registration catagory)
    (you CANNOT lawfuly use this method to drive on AZ streets)
    (This requires level 1 inspection and does NOT require DOT,EPA stuff)
    2. On-highway use
    (You get a normal vehicle license plate)
    (This option MAY require a level 2 inspection and DOES require DOT,EPA stuff)
    (Requires YOU certify on form #96-0371 that you have modified your mini-truck in all ways needed to be DOT certified, which is all the junk you are talking about and way more than you probably want to know about) (which will most likly include the engine certification that is currently underway)
    3. occational on-highway use
    (You get a small ATV license plate with the "H" Registration catagory)
    (requiring you get a normal registration sticker)
    (This requires level 1 inspection and does NOT require DOT,EPA stuff)

Option 3 allows you to lawfully use your mini-truck on "some" AZ public streets. But still call it an ATV to which DOT does not apply.. The exact laws on the road use resitrictions escape me at the moment but from memory all roads w/ 35mph or less and no interstate driving.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  12. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

I am really confused:confused:... YOU r in AZ aren't u?????

If the answer is YES then wot r u on about! Dot this n that, lights out, swamp tires and 3rd party inspectors. Do golf carts and ATV's that r running around in your area have all these?? NO!
    So just truck it to another DMV/MVD thats is not run by the same Supervisor/Boss. U don't have to comply with all the above as its not legally required and I understand not wanting to fight the same DMV/MVD
    But I really think u are over thinking this. Mine was just looked out, all the numbers entered and i was handed the plate and title and yes this was in AZ Cochise county ...unless you are really trying to get a full truck/car title or they think that is what u want. Not the ATV/MC plate that allows u to go on the highways and off road[​IMG]

13. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

sorry for any confusion that I created, I am only trying to be legal to drive it on the road to the gas station, auto parts or grocery store. A mile or two, other than that, it is just for offroad. I didn't know how anal the MVD would be here, but with my past experiences, I would rather avoid them if possible.

As for the confusion of where I live, I am in Az., just where Arizona, Nevada and California come together (the tri state area to me).

14. o8k

o8k Member

I reccomend option 3 listed above. The ONLY trouble i had w/ the MVD is they didnt spell out my options to me either so i acutally ended up w/ option1 the first time, and had to go back in to get a second plate to be in the option 3 catagory. they should give you a copy of the memo, point at the section that says occational onroad use and the "H" registation catagory... that should help....

As long as you explain you want option 3 (and be firm not to let them fall into option 2) you should be good, nice and easy sailing from there....
    If yer vehicle is older than 5 years, option 3 requires emmisions to meet MVD registration requirements (if your in Maricopa county or Tucson's county). Emmissions may not apply to you where you are tho

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  15. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

thanks for the reply. Just found a 3rd party inspector in Kingman, about an hour drive. I am going to load it onto the trailer and see if I can't get it titled and registered in the 3rd option today. I will let everyone know soon.

16. o8k

o8k Member

On another note, there was a lot of back and forth action w/ the Attendant and the supervisor

17. o8k

o8k Member

Bring a copy of the memo!!!!

18. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

Just to clear up what I have posted in regards to my dealings with MVD in Bullhead City.
    I was only trying to get option 3 as I drive 95% off highway.

19. dieseldad

dieseldad New Member

All right here it goes.

Went to Bullhead MVD and asked the receptionist if I could get a copy of memo T5474 dated July 17th 2009. She asked why and gave me a ticket # to wait in line to speak with a rep. I am thinking - o.k. here we go, all I wanted was a copy of this memo, so that I was able to go to a 3rd party inspector. My number was called and I spoke to Branda V. She was polite and treated me like a human being, was knowledgeable of the memo, asked me for my paperwork, looked it over and told me to meet her out back for an inspection. I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor. I pulled the truck out back, showed her where the VIN# was, told her what year it is ('91 Honda Acty) and she looked at the odometer to get the amount of Kilometers. Met her back inside and started the paperwork. She told me to go to my insurance agent and get a surety bond for 1 1/2 times the amount that I paid for the truck, because all I had was the import paperwork, no bill of sale etc..

Went to my insurance agent and paid for the bond. A little expensive, but worth it to me, $ 75.00.

Brought the bond paperwork back to the MVD, went back to Branda V. and was out the door ten minutes later with plates and both the off road 'R' sticker and street legal 'H' sticker in my hand.

$08.50 The cost for the 'H' sticker and plate.
    $25.00 The cost for the 'R' sticker

$33.50 total spent @ the MVD for one year.

I was and still am in shock at the fact that it is finally done after 3 years of owning the truck and waiting for the day I could truly call it mine legally.

Now all that is left is to go back to my insurance co. and get liability insurance only and bring proof of it back to the MVD within 30 days.

The process was considerably easy, considering that I was dealing with the MVD after all.

Now I have the Arizona Certificate of Title and and an RV plate.

Again, thanks to all that fought the MVD to get this passed, there are & will be so many more who appreciate your efforts.

20. erixun

erixun Member

Congrats! Nuff' said. :D

21. o8k

o8k Member

22. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

Congratulations, glad it went so smooth for you.

23. L_C4

L_C4 New Member

Has anyone tried or suceeded in registrating a japenese deckvan in AZ?:confused: Would it fall under the same caterogy as a mini truck?

24. erixun

erixun Member

I do not know any thing specific or anyone in AZ with a deck van so I would say you would have to check with your dept of motor vehicles in your state, but if I were to bet any money... I would say yes, same category as a mini truck.

25. L_C4

L_C4 New Member

Thanks! That's what I was thinking since the deckvan is on the same chasis and is a model of the mini truck. It's weight and speed comply with the Memo T5474. I hope it works!

26. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

good luck...hope it works

27. kcpaz

kcpaz New Member

Just wanted to bump this thread up since I am about to start the process. I just bought a 1997 HiJet and I'm in the Phoenix area. Does anybody have any recent success stories with any MVD offices or 3rd parties in the Phoenix Valley area or any tips/tricks to make the process easier in my area?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  28. KKVEGAS

KKVEGAS New Member

I have just acquired a 1990 Suzuki Carry (being delivered on Thursday!)and live in the N phoenix area and am looking to go through the title plate process. Has any one done this lately with success or know of a 3rd party agent that can help with this process?

29. KKVEGAS

KKVEGAS New Member

Well, I did it, 6 trips to the DMV, lots of discussion on if I needed emissions, trip to emissions center telling me they didn't do ATV, and since title is for ATV they wont do. One of the many catch 22's involved!. So after much interaction with the DMV clerk, he had a personal belief that these vehicles should not be on the road, so many discussions with supervisors and being told I needed a level 2 inspection, I finally walked out of the DMV with my Title registration and MC plate after 6 visits!. I feel like it is a badge of honor after all the work I had put into it. If you are gonna pursue it, be patient, make sure you have all the import docs, EPA docs, Bill of sale signed and notarized. Now In AZ if you do operate on the road, you are required to have appropriate liability insurance,I ended up getting full coverage as a truck, AMFAM would not allow it as an ATV because it has full cab and windshield. AND MOST OF ALL GET A COPY OF THE OFFICE MEMO T5474 as you and they will refer to it over and over!

30. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Persistence pays off. I lived in Globe, Az before moving to the Philippines. Was kind of curious if these vehicles could be licensed in Az. At one time while living there I owned a Polaris ATV, had it licensed for highway and so had to have insurance coverage. Progressive will write a policy for reasonable premium.

Fred