1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Az Street Legal News Flash Alert 24aug09!!! Street Legal As Of 17 July 2009

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by stevert, Jul 24, 2009.

  1. stevert

    stevert Member

    IT IS DONE! :)eek:TEARS OF JOY:pop:)

    Congrats on EVERYONE involved! IT was a very hard and long road.

    Here it is people!

    I quote:

    July 17, 2009


    Division Director


    Effective immediately, the Division shall title and, when applicable, register imported mini-trucks as an off-road recreational motor (off-highway) vehicle.

    An imported mini-truck, which is designed for off-road use, has been defined by the Division as an undersized truck without federal label. The mini-truck may variously be known as a Japanese mini-truck, Chinese mini-truck, Kei truck, K-truck, or a low-speed truck. The mini-trucks are available with 2WD or 4WD, have an unladen weight that is less than 1800 lbs, generally only reach a top speed of 50 mph, and have an engine displacement of 550 cc or more.

    Off-highway Use

    As an off-highway vehicle, the mini truck is issued:
    • A Certificate of Title and
    • An Off-Road Recreational Vehicle plate

    The Customer Service Representative (CSR) will use the “ATV” body style and the “R” registration category. The vehicle has no annual renewal and is also exempt from the emissions requirement.

    On-highway Use

    Initially, these vehicles do not meet the safety and equipment requirements of A.R.S. Title 28, Chapter 3, Article 16, as well as EPA, and other federal requirements needed for on-highway use. If the owner wants to register the vehicle for on-road use, he or she must submit a properly completed Highway Use Certificate, form #96-0371, certifying that the vehicle meets all applicable safety and equipment requirements for on-road use and will remain in compliance as long as the vehicle is registered.

    Page 2 of 2

    For primary or occasional on-road use, the mini truck is issued:
    • A certificate of Title
    • A registration, and
    • A qualified small license plate

    The CSR will use the “ATV” body style and the “H” registration category. Since the vehicle’s engine displacement is greater than 90cc, the vehicle may be subject to an emissions requirement.

    Since the mini-truck is titled with an “ATV” body style it cannot be changed at a future date due to the fact that the vehicle does not have a federal label. The “ATV” body style will remain for the life of the vehicle.

    Note: These vehicles are eligible for the Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) decal. If the customer requests the OHV decal, he or she must submit a properly completed Off-Highway Vehicle Decal Application, form # 96-0572. If the customer is registering the vehicle for on-road use and requesting the OHV decal, the customer does not need to submit the Highway Use Certificate.

    Reminder: A mini-truck currently titled and /or registered in another state or country and with no previous record of an Arizona title or registration will require a Level I Inspection.

    This office memo rescinds and supersedes Office Memo T5382 Shandong Liangzi Power Co. Ltd. Mini-trucks with Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Beginning with L6F.

    Attachments: Highway Use Certificate, Form #96-0371
    Off-Highway Vehicle Decal Application, Form #96-0572

    I Just had mine inspected as a level 1
    They used the Japanese chassis seral number.
    Monday Aug 27 2009 I will need to get a bond, ins, etc so I will update you. What's funny is the guy I had a dam near fight with at the DMV and told me to give up one the whole notion was the same guy that just issued me a 3day temp permit......
  2. stevert

    stevert Member

    Tell Your State That Az Now Allows Mini Trucks! Good Luck In Your State!!! Use The Letter Above To Send Your Dot Or Senator Or State Representative Or Congress!
  3. smoothstroke

    smoothstroke Member

    CONGRATS Steve, Thanks for all your work on this. Well be in next week trying to get a Off Highway Tag. Thanks Again Terry:)
  4. stevert

    stevert Member

    Terry keeep me posted!
    smoothstroke likes this.
  5. smoothstroke

    smoothstroke Member

    I will, One question. What documentation did they require? All I have is a bill of sale. Terry
  6. o8k

    o8k Member

    And there was much rejoicing! "yay"
  7. smoothstroke

    smoothstroke Member

    Took the truck down yesterday and had the level 1 inspection done. Didn't even bother with the bill of sale. Went to a third party MVD store. Just have to wait on the bonded title paper work to go through the process. Little spendy for the bonded title, but if it works out it's worth it.
  8. DAVID-O

    DAVID-O New Member


    Congratulations Steve from your friends at www.minitruckdealer.com - Yamagin Corp. It took you a long time indeed but it was worth all the effort.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  9. Stuff99

    Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

    congrats guys!!
  10. arizonanative

    arizonanative New Member

    this is great news! I don't have a title, or a bill of sale, for mine. What did all of this cost, to get done ? I use my truck, mostly on the ranch, but it would be nice, to be able to drive it, on the county road, and not worry, about being legal.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  11. smoothstroke

    smoothstroke Member

    Hey Native, Your doing a bonded title anyway. so You don't even need a bill of sale. Just go in and get a level 1 inspection and tell them you never had a bill of sale. You just write out a statement saying how you aquired it. Takes less time for the title search for the bond that way anyway (no names to do a search on). I used a third party MVD company, they are allowed to do the level 1 inspections. I took a copy of the notice that stevert posted with me for a reference. Bonded title 300.00 it cost me for the third party company.

    Good Luck, Terry
  12. arizonanative

    arizonanative New Member

    Gosh thanks for the fast reply, Terry. very good info . Wish me luck!
  13. smoothstroke

    smoothstroke Member

    If mine gets through the process and gets tagged I'm going out and findng me a EFI model. ;)
  14. cheepBeer

    cheepBeer Member

    iTs TruE!

    just been down to mvd and they where all aware of it and handed me the actual memo and the forms :cool:
  15. cheepBeer

    cheepBeer Member

    Yessss! Taged and plated

    Just got back from MVD all Taged and plated for the massive amount of $49.90 for 1 year! they gave me a highway tag and an OHV tag in either corner of the Licence plate and all the staff came out side to look at it as they had got the Memo and mine was the 1st one that had come in for inspection... and I found these in the glove box..ticket>?


  16. Rob Massuco

    Rob Massuco New Member

    I bought my 96 carry in CA. and brought it to my place in Bullhead AZ to register.
    I have bill of sale,(Jap)Title,Bill of Laden, Import manufest and they still flat turned me down about a month ago.:frustration:
    Should I go to a third party or just go back to MVD in Bullhead with copy of your letter and forms?
    Thanks, Rob
  17. cheepBeer

    cheepBeer Member

    I had a bill of sale and the import cert... But I went in the day before and asked to printout a ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION MOTOR VEHICLE DIVISION OFFICE MEMO T5474 dated July 17, 2009 and presented that along with the paper work. That helped so much as they kept referring to it through out the registration ... and I kept saying "well there is no gray area now your Boss typed and signed this"
  18. smoothstroke

    smoothstroke Member

    So Cheepbeer,

    You didn't have to do a bonded title?
  19. cheepBeer

    cheepBeer Member

    nope... why would u .. bill of sale and import cert is all u need
  20. Rob Massuco

    Rob Massuco New Member

    This is great news!!!! I will go back to get my plate. Any problems getting Insurance for it?

Share This Page