1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axle lock not working..????

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by IndianaJason, Nov 12, 2007.

1. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

My axle lock doesn't seem to be working..all the time? The switch works, light works, you can hear and see the diaphram moving on the axle...however in certain conditions (i.e. going up a small hill in a bind.. up a slippery hill) only one front tire is pulling, and it varies between driver and passenger side..?

Shouldnt when the axle lock is engaged both tires pull no matter what, all the time ?

I notice also if the axle lock is "off" (not pushed in and no light on, and I shift the transfer case into 4wd, it automatically comes on...if I push it to turn it off, it doesnt go off, only off and on in 2wd? Is this how its supposed to work?

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks..

2. jbarv

jbarv New Member

Thats how it works on my 93 suzuki. Although, I havnt noticed just one front wheel spinning. Cant wait for some snow to really test out how well it climbs the mtns down here.

3. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Hmmmmm....???? Well, hmmm.. I think maybe I might have a problem then? Anyone else know anything? I dont think its working properly... Its hard to tell obviously since I cant watch both tires at the same time, but when I did have someone with me on 2 occasions, they said that the front tire was not spinning, however... that was in low range just creeping basically, but when I get into the throttle some it seems like to me that both are spinning..?? I'll need to check some more, but if anyone knows what might be the problem or any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I need the axle lock to be working properly back yonder in the woods, know what I mean..?..:)

4. akswinehart

akswinehart New Member

axle lock

jason, please read my explanation in the other post about axle lock and diff lock, I think it will help you under stand

thanks

akswinehart

5. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I read it, but I dont understand. I replied to it there, should of here though so as not to scramble the two together, sorry.....so here is what I wrote in the other post :

-> ..I think Im understanding what you are saying, but I dont understand..?? Everything I have been told and/or read indicates that axle lock "locks" the front, same as differential lock "locks" the rear..?? If that is not the case, then there is alot of misinformation from owners and the dealers that I have spoken with or read what they have said?
    Also, when I engage the 4wd with the transfer case lever, and the axle lock switch is Not on, I Am in 4wd... If Im reading what you said correctly you are saying unless the axle lock is on, I'm not into 4wd (front tires not engaged), which is not how it works on my truck. Also, the other trucks that I am familiar with around here that do not have axle lock feature, they are in 4wd when the transfer case is in 4wd.
    Whether or not I activate the axle lock, my truck is in 4wd when I manually put it there via transfer case lever.. so it appears that my axle lock doesnt do anything..???????..........<-

6. akswinehart

akswinehart New Member

I have owned and sold about a dozen suzuki's with axle lock over the past year. I originally thought just like you, the axle lock "locks" the front diff. but I was wrong, and there is a lot of misinformation out there!! the axle lock is just part of the 4wd system, as you said, it auto engages when you pull it in 4wd, suzukis are a little different that the other models, they have a manual 4wd engage, the other models are electronic and can control when the 4wd engages (example, if you put a daihatsu in 4wd at 60mph it will not engage until everything is seated correctly, to keep from tearing the front diff up!) well since the suzuki in manual, you can engage the transfer case, but the front diff is still controled by that axle lock! from what I have found and selveral trucks is that even in 4wd if the axle lock is not engaged its only in 2wd (yours might be broken the wrong way) there is a control box for the axle lock behind the dash, I had to reaplace on a suzuki to make the 4wd work at all....

7. WILDCAT

WILDCAT New Member

8. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

hmmm...... I'll check out that other thread.... If thats truly the way it works, then, well, I guess thats it. I think then that the whole concept of having an axle lock is mis-leading in itself then, if it activates automatically just by manually putting it into 4wd... whats the point in having a button..? Realistically you cant turn it off or on then..? Whats the point?

I just assumed, as I was informed, that the axle lock was a "locker" , like any regular locker you woulkd put on a 4wd vehicle (i.e. rock crawlers, mud-boggers, etc...) or like the "differential lock".

Thanks for the info guys..I'll check it out and read some more. Not really what I was wanting to know though...:( , I would have rather my axle "lock" have been malfunctioning, because the idea of having the front axle "locked" is what I wanted, needed.... for the kind of use and terrain I will be putting the truck through....

9. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Wildcat, and others.....
    I read the post you gave a link to above, and what its saying is what I was thinking. That the axle lock "locks" the front end, thus making both front tires spin/pull/turn no matter what.
    So..... ?????? What does the axle lock really do? Not to argue by any means, but I'm just as confused now than before I started this thread..???....:eek:

10. akswinehart

akswinehart New Member

can anyone else help????

IndianaJason,

I agree, can someone else please validate one story or the other, my experience is what I'm baseing my story on. can anyone else Help?????

does anyone have a suzuki that will pull with both front tires????

:confused::confused::confused::eek:

11. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

12. pepci

pepci Member

:frustration:From my experience the axle lock makes the front diff a more positive limited slip. I have been told to activate the axle lock before shifting the truck into 4 wheel drive so that the front wheels are working properly but have not really noticed a difference if I don't.Just my 2 cents. pepci

13. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Here appears to be the answer......

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=769&page=2

Axle lock does not make both front tires pull....it is designed only as an automatic way of locking the front in....same as locking the hubs on a standard /domestic 4x4, it does not make the front posi-track .