1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AWD vs 4WD

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Ed H, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Ed H

Ed H New Member

How would you rate a Honda compared to say a Suzuki 4wd with or without a diff lock. I'm not going to be doing any hard core wheeling, just farm use where things can get pretty slippery and mucky at times. Thanks.

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Ed,
    In my opinion. Let me start here! Two wheel drive is just that, naturally! Front or back, weight distribution, is a consideration. All wheel drive gives you more traction using more drive wheels! 4 wheel drive, hi or lo range, depending on your needs, adding in diff. lock, illiminating slippage, well to me, that's the best possible option, when, and if, needed! It really depends on your needs and what terrain and conditions, your getting into! Clay soils, get slippery, and sticky like grease! Sandy soils, can get soft and, spongy, snow and ice, can be tricky, in it's own way. For some who stay on hard pavement all the time, AWD is a lot of extra wear and tear that you might not need. Getting back to your question, when the conditions on the farm are dry, 2 wheel drive works fine, going from here to there! When the weather gets inclimate, it's nice to have 4 wheel drive, with or without, diff. lock as an option! You want to work your unit, not abuse it! Speaking from a lot of personal experience! I hope this helps! Good Luck!
    Limestone

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

My preference has always been part time 4wd, over an all the time, all wheels driven setup. As limestone said there is more wear and tear on the AWD setups.

But with the electrically engaged 4wd and locking rear differential, I can run the open 2wd until I start to spin, then lock the rear axle. Then, if that spins, switch to 4wd. If that fails, I can drop to low range.

With a traditional 4wd setup, I have a progressive response to bad traction. As opposed to an AWD setup, where it breaks loose, and your stuck. AWD is fine for Socker moms and Yuppies, who drive mostly on the pavement, and occasionally on snow and ice.

This can can make a HUGE difference in whether I get stuck and have to get out the shovel, and hook up the winch to dig and winch myself out.

Most AWD systems are open differentials, and don’t keep all the wheels spinning at the same rpm, like a 4wd system does. AWD works best with an active traction control system, which selectively engages the brakes on the fastest spinning wheel and thus forces the torque to the other wheels. But, most of the minitrucks being imported predate the addition of that feature.

Limestone likes this.
  4. Limestone

Great description Jigs! I agree!

5. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

I have used the handbrake as a traction control way back before this was available as an option. Just have to think a bit about what you are doing and it does work very well in a pinch.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Good point Fred, I forgot about that! Your right, you had to feather it in gently, but it worked! Human ingenuity. I think were starting to show our age! LOL!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    fmartin_gila likes this.
  7. Ed H

Ed H New Member

Sorry for the delay.....but thanks so much for all of the advise. I ended up getting the Hijet 4x4 with a diff locker,(2021 S510P). Couldn't be happier.....well....almost! Now, as you can see....Jesse seems to think that he's too good to ride in the back! Thanks again for the priceless advise.

4x4prepper likes this.