1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic transmission not shifting right

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by DavidLewis, Nov 23, 2009.

1. DavidLewis

DavidLewis New Member

I have a U42T that the automatic trans will not shift right unless you pull it down to low gear and then shift it up to drive, it will not shift out of low if you just put it in drive and go, but if you put it in low first and then move it to drive it will go ahead and shift to second and then third, I was going to change the fluid but cannot find what kind of trans fluid it takes, does any one know?
    Thanks David

2. andy_george

andy_george Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you know to recommend that Chrysler fluid?

-Andy

3. Mitsubishi Automatic Transmision problems

U43T takes standard ATF fluid. If its 4WD the transfer case takes 75W/85W gear oil.

The upshift control circuit goes in this order. 1. Oil pump 2. Pressure Regulator 2. Clutch Pack.

Here is a possibility, there is a one way check valve between the pump and the oil cooler on Mitsubishi's. If its clogged or jamed the pump gets starved for fluid preventing upshit (Not enough pressure).

If as you state you can manually upshift the manual valve circuit is working. The manual valve sends pressure to 1-2 upshift solenoid & 2-3 solenoid engaging the the direct clutch circuit and the forward clutch circuit.

Most likely either the check valve is bad or the pressure regulator. Since the vehicle moves in manual mode the Direct Clutch & forward clutch plates are not an issue.

Cheers,
    Don

4. Duke Selinium

Duke Selinium New Member

Hi Donald,
    Wow. Looking at the date on this, this was written 11 years ago. I am now reading this because I have a similar issue.

I have a 1994 Mitsubishi Minicab. It is 4WD and Automatic transmission. (also has power steering and AC believe it or not).

The truck will drive but it won't downshift if you mash on the gas. It's like it's stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. If I try starting out on a hill, it won't even move forward unless I shift it down into low. In low, I take off with no problems.

There are no fluid leaks but it was brown. It probably had never been changed in 25 years. I tried dropping the pan, changing the fluid and cleaning the filter, but it didn't change a thing.

How do I fix this?