1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried replacing diff gearing to get higher top speed?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by hudson, Mar 31, 2008.

1. hudson

hudson New Member

I live in a flat part of the country and my truck is great up to about 35mph then she winds out at top RPM's but with a lot more motor to pull a higher gear. Has anyone here tried to create a 5spd overdrive of sorts or replaced the rear diff gearing to a smaller gear for higher top speeds.

2. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

how many gears does it have now? it should run at least 60 mph or 100 kph .could it be locked in low range? i just got a 5 speed in to upgrade mine . will be posting how it goes soon . it is a 2wd . here's a link to give you an idea.

http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?h...ori/&hl=en&rls=GGIT,GGIT:2007-03,GGIT:en&sa=G

an old hot rod trick is to put taller tires on it going from a 20 inch to a 24 will increase the potential top speed by 20 percent.

3. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

Taller tires

4. hudson

hudson New Member

Well maybe I am running it a little on the shy side then, because at 80km/h it sounds like the motor is red lining. I understand that they run at a higher RPM but to hold that RPM for any amount of time worries me a little.
    The last thing I want to do is blow the motor.
    Hey where did you line up the 5spd tranny from? I read the article and it looks easy to do but where do you find the new tranny that will bold over to the motor without any headaches.
    thanks guys

5. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

i got mine from Steven at http://www.japancarexports.jp/, he is one of the most upstanding individuals I've ever worked with. he even took a loss in order to honor our agreement. his primary sales seems to be cars & trucks . but he may be able to point us to a parts source ? i do know that i plan to be a repeat customer.

6. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Drive it pedal to the floor. No problems. They will take it all day long. It sounds like its revving high, because it is. But, they are built for it.

We run flat out for several hundred KM's at a time....