1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by thefuzz783, Sep 2, 2008.

1. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

I can't really figure out it's function. The "plunger" only moves back as far as idle speed....

Attached Files:

2. GoFaster

GoFaster Member

Idle-speed kick-up device? If the linkage on the left side of the picture is the throttle linkage (sure looks like it) it's probably something to do with that. It's possible that it is a dashpot to slow down the rate of throttle closing, for either emissions or driveability reasons (or both).

3. Subaru

Subaru Member

Do you have A/C

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

looks like the HAC (High altitude compensator) on my old diesel land cruiser. It adjusted fuel mixture based on altitude...

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

gofaster is right...it slows down the throttle when you go to idle

wyatt

6. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

Thanks, you guys rock! Only 40 minutes from the time I posted :D

7. Otaku

Otaku New Member

It's called a dashpot. It's an emissions control device that slows the throttle's return to idle after you lift off the gas to prevent a big burst of hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) that would result from the sudden throttling of the intake tract.

8. ddimports

ddimports Member

but does it work?
    we had two that came that didn't work one was the vacuum line the other ,was the pot

9. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

I don't see how mine could work, when I push the plunger thingy all the way in, it doesn't even touch the throttle linkage.....?

10. myhijet

myhijet Member

That almost appears to be what increases the idle when the a/c kicks on.