1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any mini truck daily drivers in Canada?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by JDZ, Sep 30, 2007.

1. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

I'm Canadian, but live in Japan and export minitrucks. I drive a 4WD 2001 Subaru Sambar with a/c, automatic (column shift rather than on the floor) and power steering. We use if as a company vehicle as well. And, we have a Daihatsu Hijet Jumbo my other staff drive for work purposes.

I had a Land Rover Discovery, and at 140bucks a tank of gas, I though, "Wow, I'm getting the same mileage in the kei-truck as I am with the LR, and the Subaru is only 40bucks a tank."

As a non-Japanese person in Japan, I get looks from the farmers and workers who drive the kei-trucks here. I sold one to a friend of mine here and he and his wife (both Canadian) drive it around. He told me the other day that he gets the "triple-take". People can't believe that we (non-Japanese) are driving these little guys!

2. Barky

Barky Member

Yeah that's what I figured. I test drove a Diahatsu today and managed to find a Suzuki for tomorrow, and then have a Subaru lined up for monday...so we'll see what will be. But already having at least seen one it has begun a frame of reference to compare with and that seems good.

3. takeit4granite

takeit4granite New Member

Mini-Truck snow driving?

Hi there,

I am really glad I found this forum, it is great!

I live in Whistler BC and want to get my hands on an Acty but have some questions about performance in snow. How are these units in snow on hills? Do you need to put a bunch of weight in the back to keep the back tires from spinning?

What is considered "high mileage" on a used truck? I am looking at one with 56,000km and wondered if that reasonable for a guy who is essentially useless beyond oil changes?

The local municipality uses these as utility vehicles but I can't recall whether they are out on duty in winter. So I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    t4g

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

if you consider that 56,000km is about 34,000 miles, would you consider buying a honda with only 34000 miles on it. i ablsolutely would... considering the overall condition of the vehicle. and also note the year of the vehicle, could the odometer actualy be 156,000km?

the honda has a mid engine, most of these trucks are very well balanced front to back, and with 4wd, should be able to safely put the power to the ground without having to put a lot of extra weight in the back.

5. takeit4granite

takeit4granite New Member

Thanks Milt, I just wasn't sure if these smaller 3 cyl engines had some sort of lifespan of 50,000 and I was looking at a time bomb!

The unit is a 1992 Honda Acty with 56,000 kms. 4x4 mini truck from japan, 4 speed standard, allegedly in mint condition.

I am super interested but wanted to know about the snow driving situation before I dive in because basically it can snow here almost year round.

Anyone ever source studded tires for one of these?

t4g

PS- I searched the threads and had no luck finding this info so I hope I'm not dredging up common questions.

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i've got 104000 km on my hijet, still runs like a champ, it's my daily driver and weekend abuser. somehow it's still chugging along in spite of me trying to kill the motor for good reason to built it better :D

i've heard of 200000km on them, there was a thread went around about that.

i know my buddy had a toyota 22re truck with 500000+ miles on it... they just keep running.

cheers
    milt

7. shreddog

shreddog Member

I've got mine for winter use! it'll be slogging the snowmobile around all winter.
    Subaru or Honda are pretty balanced. The others with motors up front can be slippy on the rear tires in snow.
    see ya in wiss!

8. speedy67

speedy67 Member

T4G

Regarding studded tires: Canadian Tire or Walmart are an excellent source for studdable winter tires for these. You can even afford to go up to 155 or 165 series tires from the standard 145 they come over with. If your really adventurous, you can find some 13" wheels and your choices will expand greatly for tires.

9. mike o

mike o Member

Canadian owner

I just bought a 1984 Honda ACTY TC. It's legal here in N.B. But I'm told there is a movement afoot to ban any more and that if you're registered you'll be grandfathered. I can't believe the shape of my truck. I've seen North
    American cars a lot newer in a lot worse shape.

10. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

back to the thread....

I'm also a daily driver - 1991 Subaru Sambar - just got it three months ago so I have no input on winter driving, but as far as fun to drive.... 10/10 in my books, fuel mileage 8/10 but I also never really thought 50 MPG would be possible.

If you are ever in the Sauble Beach area, look me up!

11. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey i don't drive my mitsu everyday to work but on the weekend i drive it all the time...on the highway or in town its great, i little loud on the highway but nothing some sound deading won't fix.
    this is a great street truck...i have 14" tuner wheels for it and the 165/60-14's will be in at the end of oct, can't wait ;)

wyatt

12. bumpas toy

bumpas toy Member

had mine for a year now!love it! I live in NovaScotia .these little trucks are10/10 for winter driving. i have put on over 13000k on mine,but i caught the tail end of one province tring to ban these little jems from driving on the road did not here where, it was on CBC radiohas anybodyelse heard this ?i hope it was a dream but my wife heard i to ,this would make a growing man cry.

13. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Yes From BC

We drive ours all over the place, it's fun to drive till you are holding up traffic on slight hills that are long, a bit embarasing.

I am a little disapointed in our gas milage for such a small motor.

350 kms for 35 liters ........I think that's 30 mpg if that, our modified Brabus Smart (diesel) gets twice that milage, and had WAY more power, plus it can do 160kms per hour.

But saying all that, I know it's old technology with the 91 Bravo van and doesn't have CDI injection, just an old carb.

We still love it lots though, and it carries all kinds of things in the back.

Would I buy it again?............Yes I sure would.

A bit better milage and a tad more power would make it the ultimate in a practical van.

Steve

14. Daddio

Daddio New Member

Steve
    You are getting the same milage as I get with my Bravo but I am using it as a pizza delivery vehicle so I expect to get less than average.

I just had the first real snowfall of the season and am so impressed with the way the 4wd works. You can bank on there being more of these little gems in my delivery fleet ;)

15. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

"A van full O' pizza!"

OK, dadio thanks for that, I keep forgetting it's 4wd too.

Yea those sliding doors would be just perfect for you I'll bet!

Can't wait to see some snow, but some years we get none here at all:(

Steve

16. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

pizza hut wanted me to deliver for them with my truck. said no way. didnt want to wear out my truck like i have mini vans lol

17. whynot

whynot New Member

Like my Carry use it every day.

Nova Scotia Mini Trucker

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  18. WELDER

WELDER Member

I drive my Sambar pickup everyday and I love it. Fully legal.

Best rig for me.

Cheap to run...for now :D
    Fits all my bikes
    Super duper awsome

19. Barrenlander

Barrenlander New Member

I am driving my 1990 Daihatsu to work everyday here. Starts great at -25c (only had 1 day that cold this year), I did put a little bigger battery on it tho, the original was lacking in cranking amps. So far no problems, working well for me.

20. 90mits

90mits New Member

We have one we drive daily in Northern Ontario. No problems....love it. Safety and insurance was no problems at all.