1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Plow Setup

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Shrimp Daddy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

Seven inches of snow and drifting last week gave me the nudge to finally build a bumper/receiver/plow attachment.
    Thanks to all who have contributed info and pictures of their setups as I have looked them over extensively. I have the bumper in place and the plow hardware is mostly welded up as well. I used 2" strap that is 1/2" thick to weld to the frame. If this does not hold, I will beef it up. The bumper is a work in progress as I will add to it making a deer guard of sorts. I picked up a Grip Tools 3000 lb 12 Volt Electric ATV Winch for half price at about $55 from Rural King. They are running a sale on them now. More pictures to come.

[​IMG]

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

nice and heavy duty!

3. o8k

o8k Member

thanks for posting. I always like seeing how people mod their truck. post more when you can.

4. dwlb

dwlb Member

I reworked my reciever and brush guard because of clearance issues on steep hills. The brush guard can be unbolted ( 4 - 3/8 bolts ) from reciever to work on rad. Not hitting now. First two photos are how it is now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    Acerguy likes this.
  5. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Here is the plow attachment end. Being a trial and error setup I will need to cut the 2" square tubing that fits into the receiver and move it up the vertical portion of the plow attachment in order to lower it to better level the plow when assembled. This is my first foray into metal working and I am finding that more tools will be on the wish list. I am finally putting the cheap used Millermatic 200 to use and I have picked up a Harbor Freight 14" chop saw which should make it easier to make straight cuts. I did ok with the saws all, but I am looking forward to using the chop saw. When the winch comes, I will fab a plate for it to insert into the upper receiver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cost thus far:

72" Cycle Country plow blade bought at auction $100
    2x3 square tube 2x2 square tube, 2x2 square receiver tubing, 2x1/2 inch flat bar $85
    3000lb winch with wireless fob $55
    Cycle Country push tube refurbish kit $42

6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Looks interesting... but won't you be putting a TON of stress on it having the plow mount and winch mount conencting to a single point? Any reason you didn't weld the tabs straight to the receiver on either side instead of putting them hanging out the front like that?

7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

id weld some little triangles in there at the 90 degree meetings.

8. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

It just seems the further the mounting points are out in front, the more leverage they have to exert force on the rest of the mounting system... I'm sorta freaking out about bending pieces of my truck though so maybe I'm just paranoid :eek:

9. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Thanks for the input guys. The tabs on the ends or the plow mount are made of 2 x 1/2" flat stock welded on all four sides of the square tubing. As recommended, I welded gussets to the vertical plow mount after lowering the mount to have a better plow angle. Wiring was straight forward. I used 10 guage with heat shrink and electrical tape overkill at the crimp type connections. I made a hole through the rubber grommet on the driver's side and ran the winch control switch wire to the driver's side accessory panel and mounted the winch switch in front of two of the accessory switch pop outs. The plow rebuild kit came this week and I was able to mount the springs not shown in pictures. Tested the plow out tonight with a couple passes down the lane widening each side by about 3 feet. There is 6 inches of snow in the forecast this week. May have a chance to put it to work.

Attached Files:

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Looks pretty solid... I'm still a little worried about how far out in front of the truck it is. Seems like you're going to be putting a LOT of pressure on that receiver because of the leverage you'll be getting from having the plow that far in front of the truck.

11. pepci

pepci Member

So my question is how did you attach the reciever part to the truck itself to have agood solid attachment. Pleas post pics so I can see what you are talking about.I have a 91 Suzuki and my reciever uses the front of the strut arms as a point of attachment, so far I have broken 2 of these arms and am wanting to see other ways to attach it. Thanks for your input. pepci

12. wareagle

wareagle New Member

front receiver hitch

i have a 93 i would like to see how you attached the brackets to the truck also, the only receiver hitches i have seen take away to much front ground clearance

13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Mine doesn't hang any lower than the front pumpkin does... although I do agree it hangs pretty low.

14. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Sorry guys, I have been working a string of nights since the first of the month. I will try and get out the next couple days and take some pictures.

15. native

native Member

Looks like mine

I did the same setup works great for plowing, you can feather the banks out without making snow ramps. Take a look at my pics. the whole plow setup comes off the rig with 1 pin

16. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Mark I Mod II

Here is my second run at strengthening the bumper mount as per recommendations. The first couple pictures are the original mounting of the 2 inch bar to the frame. I welded 2 inch square tubing to the flat stock and butted it to the front of the frame. On the bumper end, I cut a 2 inch length of square tubing and then cut it diagonally to make some L-brackets.

These were welded to each side of the front of the bumper mounts to give extra surface area for welding to the bumper. Once the bumper was attached, the top of the L-bracket area was filled in with weld and ground down to taper the 3 inch bumper to the 2 inch bumper mount.

Disclaimer: I am not a welder.

I'm not doing justice to the description, so hopefully the pictures will help tell the story.

Attached Files:

17. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Ground, sanded and painted. I took a roto zip and cut out the bottom of the plastic grill so I can take it off in the future if needed. The bumper needs more fab work when the weather gets warmer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  18. kyhunting

kyhunting New Member

your fab work looks good i have an question i have an 02 i would like lift an put tires like yours could u help

19. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Two inch lift. All-trail tires. Limited slip diff up front. The dealer I purchased from is out of business but any one of the supporting dealers on this site close to you should be able to hook you up. Search for lift springs and tires here and you should get plenty of info also.