1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another lift kit causing problems....

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by JRinTX, Jan 28, 2008.

1. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Its anchored to the floor with 5/8" concrete anchors. I have just about every attachment they make. Tubing bender w/some square & round dies. Leverage multiplier. Scroll Bender. Picket twister. Basket Attachment.

-Greg

2. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Does it do a good job bending tubing? No wrinkles, creases or flat spots?

3. greg0187

So far I have only used it with the 1/2" round, 1/2" square, and 3/4" square. Bends them flawlessly. I just ordered the leverage multiplier and the 1-1/4" round dies and expect the same result. I've used those $100 hydraulic ram benders and they do exactly what you are talking about.

-Greg

4. gbrad

gbrad Member

That does appear to be a nice bender. I'll be getting one of those in a month or so.

gbrad

5. greg0187

If its worth anything to you. Give Tracy a call at ShopOutfitters. He was telling me that they are comming out with a new bender this month. I forgot the website he told me but it was pneumatic, it looked nice. Just in case you want something a little bigger. IMO you can't go wrong with the 20/20 though.

-Greg

6. carryrider

carryrider New Member

Do you manufacture and sell these? I bought a carry with a 4" lift kit already on it but the part they made for the pitman arm allows to much travel leaving slack in the steering. If you don't sell these would you send the specs so that I can have one made locally.

Thanks

7. greg0187

Unfortunately I do not. I also sold all the parts off my truck so I have no way to tell you what the specs are. They would most likely be different for the carry anyway. What I would suggest is to take the existing pitman arm to a machine shop and tell them what you problem is and maybe they can make you one that will work.

8. carryrider

carryrider New Member

Thanks I'll do that

9. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Moderator

hey greg -

i'm in the market for a bender and was checking out your link... didn't see a "20/20" bender... have you got a link to that?

i was checking out the JD Squared benders too... but still on the fence.

10. greg0187

The UB-5 is the replacement for the 20/20. Looks to be the exact same machine except you can get the hydraulic option (Mine had an optional leverage multiplier). The JD bender doesn't look too bad and has a higher capacity than the shop outfitters 2" vs 1.5". One thing is to note with the JD bender is the dies. Basically the die consists of a holder, inner, and outer dies. The outer die on the JD machine looks like its going to drag along the tube as it bends where as the Shop outfitters outer die is round and therefore rotates as it bends. You really need to think about what you plan on bending in the long run as the dies themselves are more expensive than the bender itself. This is why I'm going to point out that the Shop outfitters bender comes with all the dies for bending flat stock, and it looks like the JD machine is not capable of bending flat (Bending 3/8" x 2" flat comes in handy). This is why the Shop outfitters bender is more expensive. Also be careful about what they claim that can be bent on the JD bender. They give a minimun wall thickness and greater but what they don't tell you is that you can't bend 1/4" wall 1" tubing and/or that you need the hydraulic attachment to bend larger materials ($$$). They state you can bend up to the limit of the machine but don't tell you what the limit is. All in all I don't think you can go wrong either way, like I said "think about what you are going to use it for" or what projects you may have in the future.

-Greg

11. greg0187

On another note. The JD bender gives you alot more options as far as dies go. I'm kind of leaning toward the JD machine for the price. I only paid $500 for my 20/20 model. $1000 is kind of steep for the UB-5. Id go with the Model 32 from JD and upgrade to hydraulic later on if needed.

-Greg

12. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Moderator

i already have a scroll bender and that's what i do all my solid stock with.. it's the cheapo harbor freight deal.. it actually works well with a big cheater bar... i'm only 135lbs but with 8' of cheater i have bent 1/2"x2" (iirc)... but i'm looking for something to do bumpers and roll cages.. i already have a couple guys on the line that want full exo-skeletons for their XJ's that would just about cover the cost of the jd2... but i really did like the one you showed because of the round design and the way it really seems to be a proper DOM bender.

the wife is on board for me getting a bender to hustle some side work, and the cost of doing my radiator hoop and stinger + the tie in to the fenders and on the rear crusher corners from any fab shop would surely cover the cost of the jd2... but i need a quick ROI for this to get through the missus (who is a hi level executive financial analyst)

thanx for the quick response greg