1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another good use for a mini truck

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by vtg, Jul 7, 2010.

1. vtg

vtg Member

Over the last week or so, I've been using my mini truck to do some spraying on our snowmobile trails. I hauled my quad out to my farm with my Acty one day and the next day, I loaded my tow behind sprayer into the Acty with the intentions of hauling it out there and hooking it up to my Polaris Xplorer and spraying the trail. But as soon as I loaded the sprayer into the truck, it ocurred to me that I could simply remove the wheels from the sprayer and mount the sprayer in the truck instead of towing it with the ATV. This worked far better than using the quad as the truck provides all kinds of space for stuff that's handy to have along on the trail. Also, when I need another tank of water, it's just way easier to head on down the highway with the truck and fill the tank at the farm. I've already had a few people ask me if I would do some custom spraying for them. I'm seriously considering it because this is the sweetest yard sprayer set-up I've ever operated. But, I think I'm going to look into obtaining a custom spray applicator's permit/licence before I commit to doing any custom work. Here's a short vid of me spraying a section of trail last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnReQOxPyyo&feature=channel

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice setup. I'll be curious to see the results. So you're using Grazon, eh? I've never tried it but it appears to be a variant of 2,4 D. We have a sledding hill that I've gotten tired of hacking through the roses and raspberries every fall with the bladed weed whip. I'm thinking of using a broadleaf herbicide on it to get on top of it.

3. vtg

vtg Member

I'll give it a couple of weeks and then go take a peek to see what sort of a kill I got. I believe the Grazon is somewhat related to 2,4D however it's pretty pricey because it's made to work on pastureland with cattle on it and is not supposed to cause any ill effects to the cattle grazing on the grass. I had to use this expensive stuff because most of our trail is on pastureland. If it were not for the cattle being there, I'd have likely just used an inexpensive chemical such as 2,4D, MCPA, or Curtail and applied it at a very heavy rate.

4. o8k

o8k Member

what time does it get dark up there this time of year?

5. vtg

vtg Member

As of now (mid July), we have pretty decent daylight until about 9:45 or so, but the days are getting shorter now. A couple weeks back, it was quite bright until around 10:30.

6. starpuss

starpuss Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

sweet setup

8. vtg

vtg Member

Thanks starpuss. The groomer works great and I can't wait for winter to come so I can start using it again. I'm not sure how to post a link to my youtube channel. If I can figure it out, I'll do it.

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

10. vtg

vtg Member

I went out and checked the trail last night. This section of trail was sprayed approx 7 or 8 days ago,I think. The Grazon seems to be working very well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2500vtg#p/a/u/2/GZ2jdM1bDng