1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying front end noise

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Tinytoy, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

I am experiencing a grinding noise originating from the left front side of my 90 Carry
    The noise has come and gone repeatedly,seems more pronounced in colder weather.Once the truck is warm the noise stops.
    (I live in Canada so warm is June to Aug:)
    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an odd grinding sound from the front diff/cv joint? This is not a clicking sound but a straight out grinding sound like something is not meshing up correctly
    it is also not constant ie 3/4 rotation grind,silence,3/4 rotation of grinding,silence. 1st to2nd gear only
    I have a good dealer up here but don't want to be one of "those" guys who bring a vehicle in with a mystery noise and its quiet when its in the shop!
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated
    P.S Ive spent 6hrs going thru searches on site to find anything close to this and all i could see was possible cv problems, but wouldn't the noise be constant, and shouldn't it given some warning clicks wile turning?:frustration:

2. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Grinding noise

I would check the floating caliper. Sounds to me like its frozen on the shafts and grinding away at the disc. Check the disc and note if there is unusual wear on one side or the other. Have you jacked up the wheel and tried turning it to get a feel for it. Also check that your CV boots are not cracked/Torn. My bet is the brake caliper is hung up. We will find a hung caliper on almost every truck we get in. 5 minute fix and you are good to go for another 50,000. Let me know what you find and I will explain the fix. :rolleyes:

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Is the "Axle Lock" assembly in the hub on a Carry?
    If so maybe it's not releasing properly in 2wd or needs to be lubed?
    You might try a drive with the "Axle Lock" button "On" but still in 2wd
    This should engage the front drive shafts, and if the noise is diiferent or gone
    you are on the right track.

4. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

the noise happens in 2 and 4wd,I will check the caliper/ disk for wear tomorrow as its already dark here!
    Thanks a bunch!!

5. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

pics

her are some pics of the disc/cv boots

Attached Files:

6. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Another thought - Is the Axle nut tight on the CV shaft?
    I had this issue on my Sambar on the rear, weird/ bad noises that turned out to be the axle splines/ shoulder moving against one another.
    Might be worth a check if nothing else is suggested.
    Is the suspension stock or lifted?

7. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

the suspension is lifted 2",the noise was there before the lift.
    My mechanical abilities are backyard knuckle scraper,opening up a diff is intimidating as i have never done that before:)

8. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

P.S I have never owned a vechical with cv joints before, they are a bit of a mistery to me

9. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

When you look straight on [from side of vehicle] at the rotor the axle comes through the center of the hub.
    There should be a "castle" nut that has a cotter pin through it, remove the cotter pin and check the nut for tightness. It should be very tight.

Also with truck front end supported on jack stands you could put jack under one lower "A" arm and jack up until suspension is at normal ride height. Then mount tire back on and check for play in bearings [there shouldn't be any movement when you grab the tire top and bottom and force it], spin to check for your noise from axle.

Also in picture above DSC05364.JPG it looks like the inner end of the CV is a long way out from the diff, not sure if this is normal.
    Maybe another Carry owner could confirm this.

10. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

Thank you for the info/ insight on this, it is greatly appreciated.
    I have the service manual for this vehicle but it does not have any info on the cv at all.
    I will check out the axle bolt tomorrow and check for bearing wear.
    As for the inner cv joint I have no idea if that is normal but could watch to see if it works its way back into the diff when putting another jack under the control arm?!?
    once again thanks for answering:D

11. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

well I guess the noise will disappear for me too:frustration:
    Tried all day to reproduce grinding noise to no avail, now its to dark and snowing like a bugger, and the grind came back:eek:
    Tomorrow is a new day,try again I guess

12. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

New day, same problem

OK checked the axle nut, its tight,checked bearings,no play.
    Took a look at the other inner cv joint and it sticks out as far as the one in pic
    can not reproduce sound on a jack!
    I have four jack stands and can get all four tires off the ground and see if i can get the grinding noise narrowed down to a specific part,just have to wait for my wife to get home( don't want my two kids to watch there dad drive himself over)
    hopefully the noise will happen under no load,in gear in 4x4

13. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

found the noise

got the truck off the ground on all 4 corners, jack stands under A arm right near ball joint, be careful when lifting like this as the stands are quite wobbly.
    With the truck running and axle lock engaged i could get intermittent noise.
    Crossed my fingers and put it in 4x4,placed into 2nd gear and dropped the clutch.It is the front diff that's making grinding sound. I grabbed onto pass tire to stop it( the tire itself) and when it was released the grinding started, same thing on other side of truck, but the noise comes more from the pass side.
    I R not a mechanic, will send the truck into the shop and post the fix here at a later date.
    thank you all who gave some responce to this, it is greatly appreciated.
    My knuckles thank you very much:)

14. piterix

piterix New Member

I have a 90 carry and it does the same noise you are describing. I took it out and it did that noise...mainly in 4X4, very little in 2wd, so I took it out of 4X4 and drove it around in 2wd, then re-engaged the 4x4 and it never did it again...Took it out the next day and when it was cold it did it again...Doesn't sound very good...almost sounds like theres a duck stuck underneath....haha...wondering if you had any luck finding what it was..cause its driving me crazy hearing that noise.

Cheers!

15. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

Amen to that buddy
    so far the shop found that the top of the diff was caked in mud causing the vacuum diaphragm to freeze up( frozen mud does not move) grind has simmered but not gone. Tomorrow the truck gets synthetic diff fluid, if this does not solve the cold growl its off for new diff

16. timberg

timberg New Member

hung caliper: Can you explain the fix process? Just picked up a 95 carry and notice from time to time the from left seems to stick, then it just pops and rolls just fine. Are these what you would call a (floating caliper)? cause mine does not move at all. Thanks

17. captain kei

captain kei New Member

I have the same annoying intermittent grinding noise, the dealer I bought it from told me I had to remove the wheel, remove the round plate the studs go through, remove the snap ring and washer, push the splined shaft in and that would give me nearly half an inch inside where the boot and pack grease inside the boot. I did that. it seemed to work for some time but came back.Mine is LH drive so it seems the noise is under my seat. anyone knows more about this problem...

18. Billabong

Billabong New Member

1991 Suzuki Every 660. Help! Me too I have a weird grinding noise but only at higher speeds. My father (a retired mechanic) told me it's just the grinding of the gears but once in a while it goes away when I hit a bump in the road. This only happens at higher speeds 60+ km/hr and when I'm giving it gas. Anyone?

19. captain kei

captain kei New Member

My 1991 suzuki carry does not have nuts and cutter pins on the shafts through the wheel hubs, it only have a washer and snap ring. according to the dealer who sold this truck to me, the noise is caused by the splined shaft which sometimes touches the inside of the brass bushing in the hub. I am guessing the bushing is worned. The dealer tells me that this bushing is not a part you can buy although it can be punched out and replaced. The dealer tells me I would have to buy the whole hub for 400.$ not sure this is a solution. if anyone knows about these bushings, what is the size, lenght, inside and outside diameter... I would have new ones machined and renew the two on the front wheels. stange noise, like owl, hou hou

20. dandurston

dandurston New Member

My 1991 Suzuki Every 4x4 does this as well.

There is always been a loose clunking somewhere in the front end, which seems to be in the differential, as I have replaced the wheel bearings, tie rods, control arms etc. Then when it is cold, the van occasionally makes a horrible grinding sound. This goes away after 5-10 seconds, or when I slow down, or when I jerk the wheel to the right, or when the van warms up, or when the weather warms up. In really cold conditions it grinds maybe 30% of the time. There is also a much higher pitched horrible whining sound that occurs once in a while and goes away for the same reasons. Both of these sounds are on/off. The van sounds fine, and then horrible, and then 5 seconds later it sounds fine again.

I guess I'll look into a new front differential. Another option might be just removing the drive shaft to the front diff, and the bits that connect the front diff to the front wheels, so the front wheel drive is disabled. They just roll in rear wheel drive. Not sure if this is a bad idea.

21. A.A

A.A New Member

hello did you ever locate the grinding noise ? my truck is doing the same and i can't figure it out .
    thanks

22. Gaston

Gaston New Member

Same here , 1991 carry. Didn’t anyone ever find a solution? What was the actual problem?

23. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Tinytoy, said his was the front dif.

24. Gaston

Gaston New Member

Thanks for the reply, but did he actually do a diff and fix it? Couple replies after that someone said a brass bushing in the hub. My noise/issue is exactly like billabong, and captain kae.

25. Limestone

Never worked with, and don't even know who they are! Roll up your sleeves, and check the diff. fluid, and maybe post the results, to help others!
    Limestone

26. Gaston

Gaston New Member

I changed all the fluids when I got it last month. I even checked it again and it’s good. I pulled the axle caps of last night and made sure the lock ring was on. The axle moves a lil on the hub side but the hub is tight. If I leave it with axle lock on it will not do it. Only front free spin.

27. Limestone

Did you check the CV'S? I never had any noise coming from mine, but I rolled the CV joint Boots back, but only removing one stainless steel Factory applied zip tie, and carefully rolled the Boot back, and inspected the joint for wear and tear with lights and mirrors and rotating, looking for particles of metal with a magnet, and then cleaning with a de greaser solution into a clean plastic container, and dried, and installed a wheel bearing grease the same way that you'd re pack a wheel bearing, and re installed the Boot, and used Black zip ties temporarily in case I had to re place the CV 's. Then at a later date I put some Stainless steel zip ties that I found at an ACE Hardware! Just a thought!
    Limestone

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  28. Gaston

Gaston New Member

I did not check them, I just took it for a 40kmh trip and I did not hear the noise at all. the only thing I did was take the plates off and check the lock Clip on the front axle. It just started to snow so I didn’t want to switch to 4wd until I can make the noise come back. I will try again when the road is clear. I will update. Thank you very much for input and replies.

29. Gaston

Gaston New Member

One question of topic and I don’t want this to change into a tuning topic, how many turns out does a 3+2 carb fuel mixture screw supposed to be at? I mean by factory specs. Just that question. Thank you very much.

30. Limestone

I'm thinking 1 1/2 rule of thumb!
    Limestone