1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Alternative to Mini Trucks?

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Samurai9, May 12, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

If the Kei trucks were not available in the U.S. and you wanted to create something as similar as possible using an American four wheel drive pickup as the basis, what would you use? I am excluding vehicles such as the Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki Mule, and Jeep because they are not pickup trucks. Would you look for the smallest four wheel drive truck, lift it, put on big wheels and tires, a brush guard, etc. What would you start with? How would you modify it?

Sam

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

For the cargo capacity I would have to say a 90+ Toyota pickup. Other than that a Jeep CJ7 or Wrangler would do. Personally I like the Toyota SR5 Pickups

-Greg

3. persona non grata

persona non grata New Member

4. Dan

Dan Member

I think i would be looking for something as small as possible and hunt for an old subaru brat or a suzuki samurai. When the mitsubishis were no longer imported, we replaced our fleet at the golfcourse with the Toro workman and clubcars.

5. lzpoor

lzpoor Member

i would say and early model scout with the half cab

6. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I was eyeing a Geo (Suzuki) Tracker at a local car sales place the other day. Cut the rear bodywork off, make a pickup bed and I think it might just be small enough to get around the woods. Probably still not as nimble as a kei truck but probably more 4x4 capable (which is not really quite as important to me as small size and ability to maneuver among the trees). I really like the efficient layout of the cab-forward design of most of the kei trucks though.

[​IMG]

If I recall they are asking something like US$3200 for it. Tempting...tempting....

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  7. gilsieg

gilsieg New Member

I would get another Suzuki Samurai, in Japan they are listed as Kei class vehicles. If you get the convertible & take out the back seat, you can carry quite a load in it and they are great off-road.

8. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

True, I would love to find that first generation Samurai that they imported to the U.S. You know, the ones that "flipped over". As I recall, after the first year or two they widened the track. But those early ones were cool. Good luck finding an unmolested one though. But then, I guess what I would be doing with it was molesting it. ;)

9. gilsieg

gilsieg New Member

I had one, bought it new in '87, drove it like I stole it for 6 years, until some jerk in a Jeep CJ7 decided to run a red light and t-boned me on the right side, totaled. I had 149k miles on it and it ran like a champ. If it wasn't totaled I would probably still have it with around 500k on it.

There are a few nice ones out there, just have to look. My mom just sold her '88 with 38k miles on it. She never drove it, wouldn't let me near it either! lol

10. frostback

frostback Member