1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altitude performance

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Dmscar, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

So I currently live around the Denver area and own a couple motorcycles one being a sport bike and the other a dualsport I off-road with quite often at altitudes of 8k feet and higher. One thing I’ve noticed is that my xt225 starts to bog down and lose power going up steeper grades on the way to a trail.

So my question is how do this trucks handle high altitudes going up steeper grades with retailer stock tread tires and can they keep up with traffic while doing so. I just plan to drive one of these to both drive on the trails in the Rocky Mountains and to haul my dualsport to the trails as well and would like feedback if it’s feasible.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’m at about 4500 feet, and have run it up to lookouts at 9500. It seems to handle t ok.

Mine will go about 65 on the highway, running on the flat. but add a load, and some up slope, and it will drop down to fifty.

3. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

Okay cool, that’s better then I expected and I can live with that. For longer adventure trips I’m going to try and avoid interstates anyway and try to stick to back roads where the speed limit is usually 45/50mph and if I do take a highway or whichever I can always use hazards or flashing lights like the semis do when going slower up a steep climb.

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

My hijet I am sure would go for days at 45-50 that's around 5 grand on the tach I think.