1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternators

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by aomorisambar, May 30, 2020.

1. aomorisambar

aomorisambar Member

Next question on my list...

When I fire up the engine I can hear the alternator bearing spin with high veeeeeeennnnnn (I know, I know, I need to cool it with trying to spell out these sounds). I doesn't continue once the engine is started but just wondering if this could be signaling a replacement my be in the near future??

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

It might be. Your sure it's the alternator, correct! I'm not doubting what your saying, but sound, noises, do travel. I've been fooled before! It sounds like it 's probably the bearing on the alternator. It's not the belt, right? The alternator is probably still showing a good charge, if you test, the output while it's running. Sometimes, they'll do that for a while and not cause a problem, and the noise might even go away on it's own! You could play it safe and take it off and have it checked out, and possibly rebuilt. Or simply replace it! How old is it? How long has it been on the vehicle? Just some thoughts!
    Limestone

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Or, it could be teh front bearing on the starter. As Limestone said, sounds travel. If you take off the drive belt to the alternator, does it still make the whine?

4. aomorisambar

aomorisambar Member

Definitely the alternator bearing. Had the shop take a look at it, they said it should be fine. Like you mentioned, they basically said it will probably go away on its own. Most likely cause is that the truck probably sat without being driven, or even started for quite some time. This assumption is based on the fact that the last inspection expired 2 years prior to my buying it.

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I've always told family members, that one of the worst things for a vehicle, is not to use it! I understand in some situations, it can't be helped! Especially in your type of situation, when your oredering a unit from, where ever, across the pond, so to speak, then on top of it, maybe unforeseen delays, that might delay delivery even longer, causing more, again, unforeseen problems! What are you supposed to do? Except what your are doing, checking everything out, not only protecting your investment, but making it safe for you and yours to drive! Good Luck!
    Limestone

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

In case you need new or used one, same alternator fits on Honda Acty HA1 HA2 HA3 HA4 HH1 HH2 HH3 HH4, there are plenty on Yahoo Japan, rakuten etc
    NipponDenso C G G 4 9, 12V, p/n 10 12 11. 31 70

Limestone likes this.