1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Joey D, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Joey D

Joey D New Member

I recently tried locating a new or rebuilt alternator for my 91 KS4, but they are super hard to locate. I designed a bracket kit to mount a 70 amp Denso alternator to the factory bracket, all wiring connections remain the same. if anyone is in need please let me know.
    this was designed around a non-AC model motor, the kit uses a super easy-to-find $99.00 NAPA alternator.
    I have attached a picture of the brackets fresh out of the 3d printer.

Joey
    1991 Sambar KS4

Attached Files:

t_g_farrell and SHopkins like this.
  2. Nicholas Harteau

Nicholas Harteau New Member

very cool! I'm not in need of one yet, but would you be willing to share the model files so that I can print one when I inevitably do need one?

3. Joey D

Joey D New Member

Yes, once I put more miles on it and can share it, I may make some adjustments to the kit prior to release.

4. Arty

Arty Active Member

Nice one Joey!

5. Joseph degiacomo

Joseph degiacomo New Member

Hi anything on this kit I want one! Plus what alternator part# or is it just the 70amp.

6. SprungDave

SprungDave New Member

If you oriented the alternator the opposite way (rotate 180 degrees) would it fit without the brackets (other than the terminals being in the wrong place? And if so, couldn't you just reclock the terminals to be in the right place by slightly disassembling the alternator?

I ask, because the above was my plan. I wanted to buy a 70 or 90 amp unit....

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts...

Drive Safe!

7. SHopkins

SHopkins New Member

Giving this a watch. The more parts I can buy off the shelf at the local Napa, the better! Nice work!

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The alternator looks to be a standard “mini Denso”. You can find them in up to 120-amp. They will have heat issues, if you pull that many amps for long. They were designed for 30 to 50-Amp loads, and don’t have enough surface area when you start producing higher Amperages than that without really good airflow.

I’m running a 90-amp version on my Hijet, and if I turn on all of my lights while snowplowing, it gets a little warm. And, it is usually well below freezing. It does recharge the battery really quickly during normal operations.

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Yes the alternator can be re-clocked. The winding connections have to be bent to get the back plate off, but other than that is pretty straight forward. (At least it has been on the two I have done. I probably ought to do a quick “How-To” on the stock one. So, folks know how to do it. )

Some versions of the alternator have the bolt holes 180-degrees apart, and some at 170-degrees.

Smollpp69 likes this.
  10. SprungDave

SprungDave New Member

Yes! A how to with pictures would be greatly appreciated!!

11. Joey D

Joey D New Member

The Alternator I used can be found here
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RAY2133014
    I don't have a how-to as I don't intend to sell this kit.
    I have put a lot of miles on the truck with the alternator and there are no more charging issues.
    I have the STEP files uploaded here, you will need to change the file extension to.STEP as the board would not let me upload STEP files directly

this fits KS4 no AC, you will still use the stock bracket. on the stock bracket on the right side, there is a slot, you will need to enlarge the very top radius to 14mm to allow for a longer top bolt to be used.

I will try and post some pics later this week

enjoy, hope these files help at least 1 person.

Attached Files:

OhDeer and Drain like this.
  12. FritoBurrito

FritoBurrito New Member

Was the pulley style on your truck serpentine or v belt? After fitting the larger alternator, did you need a different size belt?

13. Joey D

Joey D New Member

UPDATE: It looks like the link I posted originally was for an externally rectified model. You should be able to easily find the internally regulated model at Napa. The internally regulated model is and play with no mods to the wiring needed

14. FritoBurrito

FritoBurrito New Member

15. Joey D

Joey D New Member

That was the only thing I made since most of the items I needed were easily sourced. The alternator being from Japan only was a problem for me.

16. FritoBurrito

FritoBurrito New Member

I want to add another note here for anyone that plans to do this upgrade. The bracket that Joey D designed is made from plastic (duh) and the alternator doesn't touch metal once it is installed. Add a grounding wire or strap from the frame to the side of the alternator. I used a bolt that mounts the original alternator bracket to the engine. All of my charging troubles are gone. Thanks again Joey D!

Attached Files:

17. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Out of curiosity, what are you guys printing this out of? It looks kind of like PLA, but I doubt that would stand up to the heat here.. ABS? PETG? ASA?

18. FritoBurrito

FritoBurrito New Member

I can't speak for Joey D but mine was printed on a Bambu printer using carbon fiber reinforced PET. It is temperature stable to 300F. I've actually been thinking of milling this part out of billet but there are too many other projects going on to focus on it. The bracket is incredibly strong and I'm confident in it for years to come. I'll update this thread if I run into any issues.

bentresearch and rkrenicki like this.