1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator Replacement Advice

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by anthill, Feb 24, 2014.

1. anthill

anthill Member

Hi all, my alternator died last week - the positive lead rusted off and I think a diode fried from the resulting overvoltage.

Battery died, car wouldn't start, and once the battery was charged enough to start the engine the battery light flickers and I measure 28V AC across the battery terminals. Sounds like a diode, no?

Anyhow, my options for replacing it are

$120 - RockAuto cheapest alternator ( EXCEL AUTOMOTIVE Part # 10162 ) remanufactured, shipping included.

$140 - Local shop that claims they can rebuild it for this much.

$190 - Canadian Tire - major distributor, remanufactured .

$300 - Local shop that claims they have a brand new OEM alternator, and warns to watch out for shittily rebuilt alternators.

Any advice on which to pick? Do remanufacturers / rebuilders do a decent job with fried electronics? If the alternator over-volted enough to burn a diode, is it likely that the rest of the alternator electronics are damaged and might fail later?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Myself i think id go with your cheapest option most electronics have a no warranty clause once its used on a vehicle unless the failure is immediate.Myself id chose option A and hope the alternator is only electrical problem.