1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator belt size or part #?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty References' started by CompleteLawnCare, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Does anyone have a size or part number for an alternator belt for a '92 Acty HA4?

Mine burnt up today. I haven't looked to see if there is anything left to it, but there is nothing on the alternator (no belt)

Not sure why it burnt up, but the alternator spins freely with no belt on it

2. vtg

vtg Member

I replaced my alt belt last spring. The original was labelled AY160-VM265. I went to the local auto parts store and they did not have a 265 in stock and said it could take 3 weeks to get one because it's a bit of an oddball length. But they did have a 270 which I purchased and installed. It's a tad longer, however there was lots enough adjustment range to accomodate it. Just be sure to have the wire harness routed carefully so that the belt/pulley don't rub it. As I recall, I had to add a zip tie to the wiring somewhere near the upper pulley to prevent any rubbing.

3. When I pulled the cover off, the old belt was still there. It was a Gates 7250. Brought it to my local CarQuest and he had one in stock. About $14 including tax. The size it shows on the Gates sleeve which the belt came in is 9.5/10mm X 650mm or 25/64" X 25-5/8"

It was almost too short, because I had to set the alternator all the way down, and still had to get a wrench on the other pulley on the engine to turn it to get the new belt on. There was no slack once I got the belt on, so I had to tighten the alternator at that point.

I did discover that 2 of the clips holding the cover are missing. Something may have gotten in there and caused the old belt to come off. But, I did hear a squeal, and smelled burning rubber.

Anyway, it works fine now.

I don't remember seeing the wires that might get in the way. I'll have to check on that tomorrow.

Any ideas on how I could keep that cover closed since the 2 clips are broken off? I was gonna put some duct tape on it, but couldn't find my roll.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011