1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Ashnkooshe, May 6, 2017.

1. Ashnkooshe

Ashnkooshe New Member

Hey guys.. I did a few searches here and online and I'm not finding the location of the AC. It's pretty hot outside so I'd like to have a general idea where it is located so I can recharge it.

Hoping it's just empty cause the main reason I chose this one that needs paint is cause of the AC and it just blows hot air. :/

*1991 Acty truck*

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. shogun

shogun Active Member

Always mention built year, truck or Van, easier for us to help. So I can tell you only where the stuff is on my car, that is a 1998 Acty truck with the Frame number HA3-2330294.
    The recharge port is next to the engine when you remove the cover above the engine. The AC only works if there is enough R134a, the push button for the AC is pushed down and the lever is set to air recycling, it does not work if you set the lever to fresh air.
    http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/de... courtesy of Murilee Martin.jpg?itok=8Ce4aqtr

This they probably made to get the cabin cool at all. Remove the driver seat, 2 bolts at the front, 2 bolts at the rear, you see them when you pull the seat forward, then you can take the seat out. Under the driver seat there is a filter in front of the evaporator. When I bought my truck the AC was not working, found out that the filter was completely clogged and the evaporator was full of dust, so no air exchange between the fins was possible. I cleaned and washed the evaporator, then instead of a costly new filter I bought a filter for the kitchen and removed the original filter material from the plastic filter frame, used a sewing kit and sewed the new clean filter on. What a difference, the aircon worked suddenly, even did not have to refill new refrigerant.
    The compressor is of course close to the engine, as it must be driven, and the condenser is in the front.
    To check details for your car, use these parts catalogues https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/parts-diagrams-parts-search-by-frame-number.17214/

Compressor looks like this, so you see it is of course belt driven = close to engine http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HONDA-Acty-1...671725?hash=item4b1436a12d:g:IncAAOSwSlBY1IWM

and buy a Acty repair manual, that helps a lot http://www.lulu.com/shop/james-dank...service-manual/paperback/product-4004395.html

4x4prepper and Ashnkooshe like this.
  3. Ashnkooshe

Ashnkooshe New Member

Whoops! Can't believe I forgot to include the details about my truck. Updated!

Thank you SO MUCH! I will definitely check out the filter too.. the whole thing is filthy inside and out. I keep cleaning and cleaning to no avail. Haha

4. Ashnkooshe

Ashnkooshe New Member

Just read this a couple more times. Seriously thank you for taking the time to help so much. :)

5. shogun

shogun Active Member

And in the front behind the bumper there is the condenser with fan , also there check if that is clean and not full of dirt.
    There are slots in the bumper and you can see the part behind it. AC basics by Eric the car guy

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

Just got a pic from under the driver seat from Ashnkoosche http://imgur.com/a/LTpQJ
    At the bottom of the pic there one can see the filter frame, the open hole into the AC box, not much left over from the filter. Actually the filter should have covered the complete hole/opening there.
    That means all the dirt could come into the evaporator and I assume it is very dirty and reduces the cooling capacity.
    Slide the filter frame off, make a new filter with the old filter frame with some filter material. Then I would take off the cover from the evaporator and clean all inside the box there too.

7. Ashnkooshe

Ashnkooshe New Member

Here's a good view of the AC evaporator.

Attached Files:

8. shogun

shogun Active Member

How is it under the black cover? Somehow I managed to remove that to clean the stuff underneath the cover, that is the most important part for the cooling

9. Ashnkooshe

Ashnkooshe New Member

Disgusting!! I have to borrow an air compressor to blow it all out, along with the whole interior. It's so dirty under everything.. ugh.

I am too nervous about undoing any of the hoses to get the actual unit out. Hopefully blowing ot out will work. Tried picking at it and it was breaking a little. Honestly, I don't even see where a filter was.. there was a bunch of Japanese receipts stuck in it too. Lol

Attached Files:

10. shogun

shogun Active Member

Great, you removed it. No need to undo any hoses. My one looked similar dirty. Blowing it out with an air compressor will probably not help, as there is also grease etc. I used brake cleaner and flushed the whole thing. Maybe a spray bottle of household degreaser will do, so the fins get nicely clean again. Moisture and brake cleaner will disappear thru the drain hole underneath the unit, but make sure that is not blocked.
    The filter is/was the plastic frame on the one side of the black box, the only side which is open, you still can see the rests of some gaze or whatever that is http://imgur.com/a/LTpQJ
    So just go to the next hardware shop and buy some range hood filter material (not too thick), cut it to size, get your sewing needle and a thread and sew it to that plastic frame and all air going into that box is filtered in the future and prevents blocking it.

Hap Wilson likes this.
  11. Antonio Rivera

Antonio Rivera New Member

12. That little glass circle next to the blue ac sticker is you ac sight glass and shows you into you ac system.

READING AN AUTOMOTIVE SIGHT GLASS

SIGHT GLASS CLEAR

System Ok

System overcharged

System empties (No refrigerant)

SIGHT GLASS, FOAM, BUBBLES OR MIST.

System low on refrigerant

System contaminated with air

SIGHT GLASS STREAKED

System may be low on refrigerant

Oil may streak as oil circulates

CLOUDED

Desiccant breakdown?

Contaminated system

t_g_farrell likes this.
  13. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Yep, 80/90 JDM used those site glass ports on the dryers a lot. Most replacement dryers don't have them anymore.