1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Cleaner Snorkel

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Mighty Milt, Sep 16, 2008.

1. SaskCarry

SaskCarry Member

Thanks o8k. I think I'm going to have to live with the warm air bypass due to our winters; but I'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the heads-up.
    The elbow at the top was inspired by all the snorkelled ATVs I've seen. I might put the nylon sock over the inlet elbow yet but that might just be overkill ;). I'm not intending to do any serious mudding or sand hill climbing with this. I worked on her again all day yesterday so I'll be posting more pics of my latest additions shortly.

2. SaskCarry

SaskCarry Member

I found out this weekend that my snorkel doesn't do me a whole lot of good if I have a bad seal on the air box cap. The first time I staled it took over an hour and a lot of fooling around before the carb was dry enough to fire up the engine. I fixed the cracked hose from the warm air intake (I had previously sealed up that intake and disabled the solenoid), fashioned a gasket out of vacuum line for the air box cap, and tried the water again. OOPS. The gasket didn't quite do the job. I think I'm going to find a different air box, maybe from some small domestic car so the filters won't be so hard to match. The rest of the intake is good now and at least i made it out of the water holes before my Carry stalled. My son didn't appreciate the 4 km hike back to camp after the first incident though.

3. o8k

o8k Member

Sounds like u have a plan now. Sorry to hear u had problems. I sealed my air box cap as well but I do not believe it is water tight. But its doing a great job keeping out dust.

4. anthill

anthill Member

While tuning up my Domingo van, I found that its airbox has a small hole in the bottom. From what I can tell, it's supposed to drain condensed oil from recycled crankcase gases.

If your trucks have the same crankcase gas system, then you might have a problem - if you don't seal the hole, you'll flood your airbox when you snorkel. If you do plug the hole, then your airbox will slowly get coated in oil sludge.

The only solutions I can think of are hacking in a PCV valve to send crankcase gases to the intake manifold (like most cars) or putting an air/oil separator inline from the crankcase to the airbox.

5. o8k

o8k Member

Good info! Im gonna have to go looking at this again. Personally, if i was to hack the CCV i wouldnt dare let it run into the intake, what a bloddy mess that makes. But as you mentioned, air/oil separators should do the trick.

ANother thing to note. On the DD51T engine, the engine oil dipstick is housed in a little metal tube. It is held in place by a single bolt over the timing belt cover on one end and on the other end, it just shoves into a hole in the oil pan. In other words, it isnt sealed really at all. I jammed an "O" ring down in there to make the seal tighter. But i bet when driving in water, that bugger will take on water way b4 the air box will.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  6. SaskCarry

SaskCarry Member

Good point o8k. I noticed that about the dipstick too and sealed it up when I replaced my timing belt. I haven't noticed any oil film in the air box yet but I'll be keeping my eyes open for it. Thanks for the "heads up" anthill.

7. o8k

o8k Member

Another thought, Differential breathers... Much to my supprise, the front diff in my 93 carry has a breather hose that runs up into the engine compartment and tucks up uner the passenger seat by the car jack. who knew.... The rear breather is just a Nub on the passenger side with a little cap over it and a spring to give it some air.

I bought some 3/8" fuel hose, poped the cap off the nub, slipped the fuel hose onto the nub, used a hose clamp to secure it, and routed the other end over by the little "beep" "beep" backup buzzer. the cap fit snugly back over the other end of the fuel hose. I had to drill a hole in the cap though so it could again breath, but i added some coffee filter type paper in it to protect from dust and moisture. The little hole i used was like 3/16" or less just about as wide as a tooth pick.

8. o8k

o8k Member

Lastly, i am curious if the solinoid driven axle locker in front and diff locker in back are water tight? I dont know the answer to this.

9. SaskCarry

SaskCarry Member

I got a proper gasket for my air box now (Bumper to Bumper) but haven't tested it in a deep puddle yet. Wish me luck.

10. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

hope you dont suck up the lake lol

11. bulen24

bulen24 New Member

After looking over everyone's pictures this is my snorkel. Not the greatest work but it gets the job done. I didn't do the snorkel for crossing water did it to get a better air intake since it works on the farm in the dusty roads. I have attached my pictures. The second picture shows the flex hose off of the warm air return connecting the air box to the PVC pipe.

Attached Files:

12. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol so is the duck in the back window the sign that your in too deep? great job :D

13. o8k

o8k Member

hehehe, Ya it looks like that zip tie under the duck (horizontal) indicates max designed water line depth! Good work! now your truck can breath easy.

14. bulen24

bulen24 New Member

lol I had forgot to cut that one off its holding my AMERICAN flag on! I recently topped the snorkel off with a 180 elbow from lowes! Now I am finished with that part, next on the list is a front and rear bumper any suggestions? :cool:

15. o8k

o8k Member

C-channel! cant go wrong... My mounting solution was overly complicated and unneeded, but you get the idea. Mine was built to swing down so i could get the spare tire out.

[​IMG]