1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket stereo and speaker help

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by 2001Carry, Sep 21, 2021.

1. 2001Carry

2001Carry New Member

Hello there!

Firstly.... I'm a fairly new owner of a 2001 Suzuki Carry DB52T. Purchased in March of this year and received in June. It's in amazing condition for its age and only had about 45000km on it.

I have been searching the pages and have found lots of info relating to speakers and aftermarket install but I haven't come across these specifics (or maybe I missed it...)

I completed and aftermarket stereo install with a Jensen MPR210 deck and PYLE PL463BL 4x6 speakers and everything is working great for the most part... The only issue I am having is the stereo is not holding on to the presets when the ignition is turned off... The radio isn't turning on with the ignition either, I have to press the power button to turn it on each time. The wires for the ignition switch and power source are connected, is it possible these need to be reversed? Or does another wire need to be run?

The other thing is... The truck has spots for in dash speakers but the standard 3.5" speakers are to small for the hole. Does anyone know what size of speaker does fit in here and has anyone had luck with a certain model?

Thank you so much for any information people can provide!

Cheers!

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

You probably need 4" speakers and the power source needs to be a non-switch positive lead so it keeps the presets. I have no experience with these trucks in particular but in general thats what I think your issue is. Good luck! I'm new with these as well.

3. 2001Carry

2001Carry New Member

Thanks a lot for the reply! 4" does make sense but I haven't been able to find any aftermarket 4" dash speakers. I'll keep looking around though!

That must involve running a new wire from the battery/fuse box then?

Thanks again!

4. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Yeah a hot wire from somewhere, fuse box is ok or if you can find a constant hot wire near the radio.

5. 2001Carry

2001Carry New Member

So I managed to get it figured out! Turns out the... YouTube video... That I watched was completely incorrect. I ended up combing my way through the wiring diagram (what I should have done in the first place) and eventually figured out that the red/yellow wire is connected to the headlight switch meaning it should be connected to a dimmer wire rather than the ground wire... Which explains why I blew a fuse the minute I turned on my headlights. The other two wires that come in to the stereo are a white and a white black. One of them comes from the battery to the fuse box and directly to the stereo while the other connects through the ignition wires. Once I figured that out it was easy to understand which one needed to be connected to the yellow constant power wire going to the stereo.

As for the speakers, I ended up just ordering a set of standard 4" pyle audio speakers that have 4 mounting locations. Turns out they were designed (at least I believe they were) to easily remove whichever mounting holes you don't need. Once I removed the two that were in the wrong spots, the speakers fit easily and the covers fit back over top perfectly.

Cheers!

t_g_farrell likes this.