1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket Radio Install

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Arich818, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Arich818

Arich818 New Member

Top of the Mornin'!

So little intro here, I am new to the forum or at least the posting side of it. I got my 92 Carry back in October and have been doing some of the usual mods since. Nothing crazy but working up to that lol! Just for a little background on my research, I have spent several hours and multiple days trying to find a straight forward answer to this problem. I've looked over other forums and google as well. And have searched every thread that has the word radio in it. Either I'm not understanding the simplicity of the problem or just cant find the solution. I DON'T enjoy wiring and wouldn't consider myself savvy at all but I can do the basics.

I have been on here several times and pretty much always been able to find someone who has had the same problem and a solution. As of now I am trying to install an aftermarket radio into the little guy. My Carry had a head unit with two door speakers already installed from Japan. It was an AM/FM radio (not sure if it was stock since it wasn't the unit with a built in speaker) but still does not hit our frequencies here. Went to O'Riellys, picked up a nice and cheap AM/FM/Bluetooth single DIN and went to town on the wiring. I have tracked down the constant power, acc power, Ground, and obviously both sets of positive and negative speaker wire and labeled all of them. Hooked it up as you would any other American vehicle. Radio has power, connects to bluetooth and radio stations, but no sound coming from speakers. I thought it might be a positive ground system but am not 100% sure. This assumption coming from the wiring I had to do with inverters in order to get some aftermarket Jeep headlights to work properly up front. The only thread I found a nugget of information in was from a while back when a member said " I know the ground is flip flopped, but (insert other unrelated issue here)". I have no idea what that would mean other then positive ground requiring inverter. The only flip flops I could find were on my feet! I just don't want to spend the money on that assuming it is my solution before I know that is what I need. And if that is what I need any recommendations on a product and where to get? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Have you tried testing the speakers with another source, or alternatively testing the HU with different speakers?

If the HU is powered up and working it should drive the speaker coils, no inverter or anything else should be required. And the truck is standard negative ground for sure.

As a precaution check your wiring diagram again and make sure everything's hooked up right.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Is the head unit set up to handle two pair of speakers or possibly more? And, to ask a potentially insulting question: Do you have the setting on the head unit going to the speakers you have hooked up? I only ask because it is the kind of senseless thing I have occasionally done

I think the stock speakers are 4-Ohm, (it will be written on the back o the speaker coil). The head unit might be looking for something else, but I doubt it would keep it from at least making some noise.

When I did my Hijet, I happened to find a Toyota harness adapter which worked with the Daihatsu wiring harness. I still had to add the speaker wires to the doors and install door mounted speakers. But, the harness to tie in the hot, accessory and ground wires was a big help. On the Hijets, the trucks have the single speaker in the dash, and the vans have door speakers, and depending on options speakers towards the rear.

4. Arich818

Arich818 New Member

I did try the speakers with another set that I had laying around and work and had the same results. So that wasn’t the problem. The other set of speakers I tried are 4 ohm as well. I didn’t actually check the settings on the head unit so I will double check that and see if that does the job. I felt the same way tho I figured even if it doesn’t play music or something it would at least fire up the coil or give a slight static sound or something lol. And the head unit is set up for 4 speakers total.