1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFCO Spring Install

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by cmaxxer, Jan 27, 2009.

1. o8k

o8k Member

2. o8k

o8k Member

AFCO lift installed! used the 10" 250lb springs. Zip wheel'ed em on the ends to fit the strut notches. Got about 1.25" lift out of it. Axle angles look great, no clunking or poping, CVs are happy. Although i would have liked to get more lift out of it, im happy that the angles are very safe looking underneath. my total clearance at the front diff is now 8.25" (which includes the 1" lift i got from adding 23" tires.)

ALso noticed when i jack up the front, the front wheels only extend about 1/4" b4 they are maxed out... Kinda curious why i didnt get 2"+ lift from this like lots of folks in here. I am leaning on attributing that to how much i cut off the springs to make them fit into the strut notches...

Pictures to follow...

3. bronco351

bronco351 New Member

I left the 2" spacers on with the new coils. I have probably 3-3.25" lift. I have 24" tires so I needed that much lift so the tires wouldn't hit. I still have 2" lift in the back. I am going to add about an inch or so in the back to level it. I also lowered the front diff 1". I'd recommend that for anything 2" or more.

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I didn't see but an 1" 1.25" on mine. They will settle a bit after some use too. Not much though. How is the ride now?

5. o8k

o8k Member

OMG like a Baja Super Racer man!!! Well its night and day between that and the Maxxis Ceros 23x8x12 tires maxed out at 12psi. Off road is a dream, on road is a nightmare... good thing my stocker wheels are all set if i need to just swap....

Anecdote: I live on 3 acres and there is a 1mile long dirt road that takes me to pavement, then civilization... There are about 3-4 significant desert washes that are about 15-25ft deep and the occasional wash board at the moment (as my neighbor hasn't graded the road recently due to lack of rain). Some of the bumps in the road b4 the spring install would get the truck oscillating violently till it started bucking like a bronco and hoping sideways (switching ends ect). Unless i kept it under about 10mph.

And by the way, the first time i hit that spot, i did think i was about to do a 1/2 gainer flip and land shiny side down, it was quite scary.

I zipped over that spot today at 10, then 20, then 25mph like it wasn't even there!!!! :D

6. Elk Man

Elk Man New Member

Great detailed info cmaxxer! I have a question for you when you get time.

Good stuff cmaxxer. Thanks for the great pics and detailed "how to". I have a question or two for you when you get time. Thanks Elk Man

7. cmaxxer

cmaxxer New Member

Sure, what can I help you with?

8. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Just wondering what I'm missing here with these lifts. I installed 185/65R14's on my stock 1992 Carry. I measure 23.75" wheel diameter. This tire doesn't hit bang or rub. I've put 7000Kms since upgrading to these wheels and never felt anything rubbing. I've bottomed out the struts and still no rubbing. So is this lift just for looks or to accomodate mags or knobby tires, and do you get extra body roll? Don't get me wrong I think the lifts look good. Just wondering! Here's mine with the bigger wheels and a smile.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. Elk Man

Elk Man New Member

cmaxxer: I have a 97 Suzuki Carry All DD51T. I need to get a heavier coil spring, I am being thrown around like a rag doll on my hunting property. I have a either a 2" or 3" lift kit with 23" ATV tires. I might add a winch and front bumper, by that is a big maybe. I would like to know what spring and the diameter you have, where you purchased, etc. Since you have had the new springs for a while would you do anyting different? I will be taking this to a mechanic as this is more than I can take on. Thanks, Elk Man.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  10. Elk Man

Elk Man New Member

cmaxxer, Since you have had the new coils on for a while, would you do anything different now? I have a 97 Suzuki DD51T with a 3" lift and 23" atv tires. Are the spring specs the same as your ride?

11. project_x

project_x Member

Did you ever finish the steering mods? Could you post details? I'm looking for ideas on correcting my steering geometry.

Thanks,
    Rob

12. cmaxxer

cmaxxer New Member

Here are some pics of what I did to correct the steering geometry issues....

Attached Files:

13. cmaxxer

cmaxxer New Member

...and some more.....

There are more pics, but they'll soon be off-topic....as I also installed lift spacers on the struts, lowered the engine 4" in the frame, and did a spring-over conversion. I'm also on the verge of getting started on converting the engine to a Megasquirt injected 1.0l turbo Firefly engine....no pics yet though on that one....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  14. project_x

project_x Member

Awesome work

15. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Must be nice to have all the tools!!!!

16. Elk Man

Elk Man New Member

#250 Springs are great/Need Differential Seals

Your pictures really helped with the spring replacement. Springs raised the mini 1 1/2 inch. It had a 3' lift which I removed due to the severe angle on the CV. I am considering a 2" lift, as I am loosing 1/2" due to passenager weight. Am I playing with a loaded gun with that thought?

Also, need Differential Seals. Who sells them?
    I order a pair from a company and they advised it would be 8-12 days as they were coming from Japan. It has been 17 days since that conversation and still no seals! I am now told it will be another week before they are ship from Japan, then another 8-12 days for shipping time. :frustration: I hate to be mislead.

17. o8k

o8k Member

if you have a 3" already and have the tools/knowhow, you can cut them down to like 1" or so. I didn't even like the angle i had with the 2" spacer so i chopped, welded, and repainted. mine are 1-1/2" spacers now ( i dropped the diff 1/2"). Unless your gonna drop the differential, i wouldn't recommend spacing above the strut more than 1".

18. Elk Man

Elk Man New Member

Since I am not a welder, I have taken the lift towers to a couple of welders and I have not had any takers. Since I only put about 75 miles a years on this mini at the ranch I may be too overly concerned with the angle on the CV. I may either stick the 3" back on it or buy a 2". If it breaks, it breaks. :pop:

I did put 25x10-12 tires on the rear. That did not help matters up front as it has caused the cab to tilt downward. I drove it this weekend and I was hitting the front of the mini at a couple of the deep crossings that I did not hit before I changed out the coil springs and removed the 3" lift. I may put the 24x8-12 back on it and see how much it raises the front of the cab. :D

19. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

old topic, I know, but I'm trying to stiffen my ride.

I fabbed some 2" spacers for the front and these give the clearance needed for my 25" tires. However, making turns with two people rubbed the truck. So, I added 1" rubber spaces in the springs (2 on each side for better support). This worked mostly, but still having some rubbing.

So, I want to lift it 3" and stiffen the ride.

My thought was to remove the whole assembly, but I can't figure out how to remove the brake line. Then I though I'll remove the spring, as in the pics of this thread. But I can't figure out how to remove the top.

Any suggestions on either of these questions?

(I have a couple of pics, but don't know how to add these to the thread. I added them to an album. How do I add them to a thread?)

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  20. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

First the strut....the black centre piece is a plastic bung that covers the top strut nut, just pry the plastic round bung out...the brake line is held in with a spring clip..you can see the lip of it in your photo on the left side...if you look at it from the same direction as in your photo the clip will slide straight out to the left..if you have ever pulled a door lock cylinder out it is the same type of U shaped flat spring clip that just slides on and off

21. snowfighter

snowfighter New Member

try the monroe struts for the 1987 sprint/metro 6" of travel

22. snowfighter

snowfighter New Member

for 1995 suzuki carry monroe sensatrak for 1987 chvy sprint metro work great with little modification. they do away with the need for lift kit and offer 2 additional inches of travel

land lord likes this.